London SE1 community website

Police Bashing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Wednesday 4 February 2009 11.06am
Davies, thanks for your advice. I have indeed spoken to Simon Hughes. I'm not scared! I've just written to Cmdr Malcolm Tillyer too.
Jan - I see where you're coming from, but I'd spent a very pleasant evening with him - he was not a complete stranger and I don't think he could hurt a fly frankly. The police action was out of proportion both towards him and me. I don't have an axe to grind either. As for making a noise - I seem to recall from years ago that the received wisdom was to make as much noise as possible to attract attention so that there would be a chance of witnesses to any brutality from the police. What a ghastly situation.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 11.54am
Quite simply this brings the whole notion of The Police into disrepute. I will await the full outcome but am sorry to say what faith I do have in the Thin Blue Line is under further stress because of things like this. The Police have a dificult job to do but must always remember they serve the public interest as well as maintain public order - a diificult proposition sometimes but we all get paid to make difficult decisions and the Police are not exempt from that responsibility.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 12.22pm
My feelings exactly, urbanite
Wednesday 4 February 2009 12.36pm
Jaybee I did not realise that you had been with him that night..what on earth did he do to attract the Police attention? as you know him to be a harmless soul no wonder your indignant about the way he was being treated.

As you were there it was not fair of me to pass comment about the whole thing! I bet the one who was harshly treating your friend has been in trouble before with his bosses. Let's hope he is reprimanded.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 12.49pm
Hi Jan,
I really, and in all honesty, don't know what he could have done to warrant this treatment. I know for sure that I didn't do anything, otherwise they would have charged me then and there. I was very concerned, even if he had been a stranger, that he could end up as a statistic.....makes one think.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.04pm
If someone is creating as much commotion as possible when dealing the with the police as Jaybee was, it's obvious (isn't it?) that they'll handle such a person differently from someone who was behaving more calmly.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.41pm
Excuse me, Jonathan, you were there, were you??? I'm old and ugly enough to know that such tactics are counter-productive. I did not create any commotion at all. I spoke quietly, calmly and politely to the officer without raising my voice in the slightest - this in complete contrast to the officer's behaviour. I presume you are trolling.
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.50pm
Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick JayBee I was reading your post above which read "As for making a noise - I seem to recall from years ago that the received wisdom was to make as much noise as possible to attract attention so that there would be a chance of witnesses to any brutality from the police."

I wasn't there like all the other people on the thread who've been commenting!
Wednesday 4 February 2009 1.55pm
Apology accepted - the advice is a dim memory from a while ago when there was that huge problem in Brixton. I have never had occasion to follow it, nor would I for the reason I said.
Friday 6 February 2009 12.02pm
Article in today's South London Press....

On a lighter note, I received this kind invitation by email today:

"Please find attached an invitation from Richard Barnes, Deputy Mayor of London, to a major conference at City Hall on crime and older people. This free event will take place from 10am - 4pm on Friday 6th March 2009.

This conference will look at what more the Mayor of London, Metropolitan Police Authority and Metropolitan Police Service can do to make London safer for older people."

Oh, the irony!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions