London SE1 community website

200 Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Tuesday 22 February 2011 10.39pm
I don't agree that the proposed design looked better than other buildings locally. The present building at 200 Great Dover Street is not attractive, but the design of the building to replace it was ugly, and architecturally it was poorly thought out and overbearing.

There are lots of arguments for not having a large building at the intersection of Long Lane and Great Dover Street, both aesthetic and social.

The application and appeal were not dismissed simply because they would affect views. Questions to do with servicing, environmental impact and the basic concept of the project were at issue.

One issue, which wasn't in the end taken into consideration but seems to me to be significant, is that arguments are repeatedly put forward to the effect that more student accommodation is needed locally, but the need for this is asserted rather than demonstrated using research, and research suggests the need is in fact questionable.

In my view there is already a surfeit of student accommodation locally. The latest directions from Southwark council indicate that they see the provision of affordable housing as a priority. A further point is that a transient student population contributes to the community only in short-term, seasonal ways; students are not stakeholders in the community and are frequently a source of significant nuisance.
Thursday 12 May 2011 5.13pm
Does anyone know what is happening with this building now. Noticed its now being gutted!?
Thursday 19 May 2011 12.10pm
The developer seems to have come up with a new scheme for this site, which is currently being vacated.

There will be an exhibition of the proposed design in the crypt of St George the Martyr on Thursday 2nd June from 4 pm till 9 pm.
Wednesday 1 June 2011 3.33pm
A reminder to interested parties that the new proposed scheme is being displayed between 4 and 9 tomorrow.
Wednesday 1 June 2011 7.46pm
I'll be going tomorrow to find out more.

The "illustrative building" on the flier for the exhibition tomorrow suggests only 7 floors!... so either they are radically changing their plans to get something built asap, or aren't giving an accurate representation of the building.

The cynic in me thinks that letting the building be gutted and look in an even worse state of repair is aimed to aid their arguement with the council.
Thursday 2 June 2011 4.16pm
As it stands, the draft proposal is for seven floors of offices.
Thursday 2 June 2011 5.51pm
I went in on my way home from work.

As longlaner says, the revised proposal is for seven floors, including a ground floor. The basement will either be for retail or office space... they would prefer retail I believe.

They believe they will have no problem securing tennants.

There was some token greenery at the front and back... some near the church which is positive.

Overall, the revised proposals represent a significant improvement, no longer the 17 odd floors of compact student digs, and as such I doubt I'll be objecting.
Thursday 2 June 2011 6.37pm
the new building looks as ugly as what is there now!
Thursday 2 June 2011 9.44pm
I think there is a preference for office space at ground level, rather than commercial space. Southwark Council's insistence on commercial use at ground level has again and again been shown to be completely barmy, and it would be nice to think they won't impose it here.
Thursday 2 June 2011 10.05pm
longlaner wrote:
I think there is a preference for office space at ground level, rather than commercial space. Southwark Council's insistence on commercial use at ground level has again and again been shown to be completely barmy, and it would be nice to think they won't impose it here.

The area does miss a dialysis centre though...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions