London SE1 community website

Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 8 February 2009 11.18am
Quote:
Alternatively one might argue that opticians, hairdressers etc are actually quite important parts of the fabric of a local community!

Yes, I agree.
Sunday 8 February 2009 1.02pm
boroughpaul wrote:
the shops that have gone added nothing special to the area. hopefully the new new market area will. as for the "horrible plan" for upmarket restaurants i too think the alternative (down market restaurants) is too awful to contemplate. borough high st already has its fair share of chicken cottage-type fast food joints and the the cornish pasty place is an eyesore. does Nandos count as down-market?? if so keep it away!

The replacment for green dragon courtis ugly and willadd nothing special.and of course no one would want anything down market, but If stall holders selling the High quality but affordable food moved out, you wouldn't want unaffordable restaurants.
Sunday 8 February 2009 10.20pm
boroughpaul wrote:
the shops that have gone added nothing special to the area.

I totally disagree!
Wyndham Poultry were great and so were the opticians.

I don't think you should assume they got a penny or any help at all. As far as I'm aware they just got shut down, end of story.

I gather Wyndham Poultry were told if they wanted to keep their shop the rent, previously 20K a year would go up to 50K. Several people lost their jobs.
Sunday 8 February 2009 10.39pm
I'm confused (again!).

Which shops were forced to close down because of compulsory purchase of the Borough High Street/Green Dragon Court block for Thameslink, (the 0pticians???) and which have gone because of rent increases imposed by the Borough Market Trustees? (Wyndham House Poultry???)
Monday 9 February 2009 9.54am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
I'm confused (again!).
Which shops were forced to close down because of compulsory purchase of the Borough High Street/Green Dragon Court block for Thameslink, (the 0pticians???) and which have gone because of rent increases imposed by the Borough Market Trustees? (Wyndham House Poultry???)

Green Dragon Court will be demolished - hence the closures there and on the High Steeet, also the closure of Repro on Bedale Street and re-location of Neals Yard Remedies, all in the direct path of the new viaduct.

Wyndhams closure is linked to rent increases, but as with many things currently going on in BM, Davies version is not the full story!
Monday 9 February 2009 10.40am
Where can one find the full story? I'd like to know more about what's going on.
Monday 9 February 2009 3.48pm
Laphroaig wrote:
Where can one find the full story? I'd like to know more about what's going on.

If you mean the full story re the 'Thameslink 2000' project, of which the new viaduct over BHS is a part, then you would have to start with the original proposal, made [I think] over 20 years ago. Since then there has been an opposition campaign run by many local residents and business people, a 10,000 signature petition against it, many postings on se1, 2 public inquiries, and finally the [probably inevitable] seal of approval from John Prescott of blessed memory. The background is more fully described on http://www.sabmac.co.uk/background.htm, which is still accessible.

As for the rent increases, it appears that those proposed to date have the potential to be even more destructive than the works related to the viaduct..
Monday 9 February 2009 4.05pm
Thanks for the information--I did see the SABMAC site before. What I meant was the full story on what is going on right now, e.g., with the rents increase.

I must say I'm finding it hard to visualize how the market is going to work when stalls have to relocate to one place, then another, then another, as the viaduct goes up. It's already so crowded.
Monday 9 February 2009 5.13pm
Some stalls will relocate to area currently occupied by the car park and there will be connections through from the existing market areas which encircle the block where Roast is situated. I believe they will be there for about 3 years while the viaduct work is undertaken, so I assume there will be a maximum of 2 moves, one there, one back.

The crowding is an inevitable symptom of BMs success, both as a market and tourist destination - it was originally a wholesale market and wasn't designed for retail in the first place, and the growth of 'fast food' outlets as extensions of certain businesses there has contributed to the severe congestion.
Monday 9 February 2009 7.57pm
janefs wrote:
Davies version is not the full story!

Davies's version is not the full story because Davies doesn't know the full story of the rent increases. As you have implied that you do, please tell all!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions