London SE1 community website

"Dreadful" bus service on routes 1 and 78: Val Shawcross investigates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Wednesday 18 February 2009 3.55pm
Is there an election soon?
Wednesday 18 February 2009 9.36pm
I'm surprised to hear complaints about the no. 1 - it rates as my second-favourite bus route in London (after the 254). I very rarely wait long for it, seems pretty regular and reliable to me, and I always get a seat. Mind you, I don't commute using it... I just use it at weekends and evenings, so maybe that helps.

I have more of a problem with the 188, and their changing drivers at Elephant and Castle. Often this involves a lengthy wait if the driver starting his or her shift hasn't turned up on time. Drives me mad. Sometimes they don't turn up at all and the bus terminates prematurely. Grr!

As for the 42 and 78, I completely agree: too small, too infrequent, always packed. Absolutely useless. Why are such small vehicles used? They're only marginally larger than minibuses!
Wednesday 18 February 2009 9.48pm
Quote:
As for the 42 and 78, I completely agree: too small, too infrequent, always packed. Absolutely useless. Why are such small vehicles used? They're only marginally larger than minibuses!

I would guess it's because they have to go through the railway tunnel on Tower Bridge Road near Druid Street. A double-decker would be too tall.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 10.32pm
But you can get bigger single-deckers than those though...
Wednesday 18 February 2009 10.54pm
In a previous thread on here about the 78 bus, someone said the size of vehicle was restricted by a low bridge at the Nunhead end of the route.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 February 2009 2.15am
Laphroaig wrote:
Quote:

I would guess it's because they have to go through the railway tunnel on Tower Bridge Road near Druid Street. A double-decker would be too tall.

The 188 manages fine and the 78 used to be a double decker.
The problem is at the Nunhead with all those little streets with cars parked either side. More buses would be the answer.
Thursday 19 February 2009 10.30am
If the 78 bus could be the same size as the 42, it would make a difference. Given the number of OKR Tesco shoppers and mums with buggies, and elderly people, it is an uncomfortable journey at the best of times - even off-peak, if there is such a thing, these days.
Thursday 19 February 2009 10.41am
Quote:
The 188 manages fine and the 78 used to be a double decker.

You're right; I forgot about the 188. Bring back the double decker!
Friday 20 February 2009 10.50am
I ride from Grange Road to Old Street and have a lovely route which is pretty direct and almost 'car free'.

From Borough/ Long Lane/ Gt Dover St junction turn down Gt Dover St. Take the first road on the left (Tabard St) (going past the amazing Simply Indian and Royal Oak pub!) At the T junction take a left into Pilgrimage St, so the park is on your RHS. Take the first right (Manciple St). Follow it round to the left and at the T junction with Weston St where you take a right. This will lead you to Decima street (on the right) and on to the end of Bermondsey St and the junction with TBR and Grange Rd.

The only slightly dangerous spot is the junction into Weston Street which can be a bit blind if someone's parked too close to the junction... But there are very few cars along this route - so much much safer!!

Hope this helps!

Gwynaeth
Friday 20 February 2009 1.02pm
you can add routes to CamdenCycling online maps
there are already some for SE1

you have to register (free) and drop them an email

im not quite savvy enough with Google maps - but it looks all setup for someone with the skills

http://maps.camdencyclists.org.uk/documentation/contributing.html

personally im way impressed with the easiness of routes marked with arrows on the road

- without even looking at a map i cycled from Albert Embankment to Clapham Common to watch the fireworks one year and all i had to do was remember it was route no 3 and just look for the numbered arrow at junctions

even got the sharp right shortcut through a council estate halfway round the Oval right first time

it would have taken me at least twice as long for that single journey if id tried to find the way using a cycle map with all those great little back roads with no traffic - id probly just have got fed up and used main roads
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions