London SE1 community website

"Dreadful" bus service on routes 1 and 78: Val Shawcross investigates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Saturday 4 April 2009 2.04am
I grateful to Ms Shawcross for keeping on with this - it really isn't good enough of the Mayor to blame it all on roadworks - we need more buses! The 199 route used to run from the Elephant to Catford, now it starts from Canada Water - couldn't we have that back?
Sunday 5 April 2009 5.53pm
I seem to recall the buses for 78 and 1,were just as bad when i was a youngster ,growing up in Bermondsey.
mind that was back in the late forties to early sixties .Nothing changes much ,does it

DJM
Friday 10 April 2009 3.08pm
Walking back home yesterday from Aldgate to Bricklayers Arms, I passed so many northbound 78s along the way that they could practically have done the conga. A coincidence or is the campaign already having an effect?
Tuesday 14 April 2009 2.07pm
more likely there was a time following of about an hour when there were one at all
NIU
Thursday 16 April 2009 10.46pm
I respect your disaproval in regard to the poor service that is provided by Arriva but you also need to consider the impact this bus route has on local residents who live along the route.

I live on Ansdell Road, Nunhead which is the start of the 78 bus route towards Shoreditch.

We have a big problem with the 78 bus route operatives speeding down our street in excess of 30mph.

The residents and I have complained to the TFL, Arriva and Sothwark Council, yet nothing has been done about it.

We are planning to put together a petition in hope that someone will take notice.

Failing that we are going to have a sit down protest in the middle of the road and invite the media and show them the lack of action in regard to our complaints.

The clock is ticking.

Any guidance or support in this regard will be most welcome.
Friday 17 April 2009 12.08am
Maybe if more 78 buses were added to the route, the existing buses would not need to go so quickly along Ansdell Road.
Friday 24 April 2009 11.46am
Southwark's Scrutiny Sub Committee B is taking evidence on bus services in Southwark on Wednesday 13 May.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 April 2009 12.10pm
I am incredulous about Boris's comment as to the 78 service. It is not ''well matched'' to demand level in any way; this is the worst bus service and uses the oldest and most poorly designed buses in London. If anything the service has gone downhill since January.
Vast numbers of new flats are being built all along its route and no bus service improvements are planned or happening. This is a complete failure of TFL and both they & Arriva couldn't care less.
Tuesday 28 April 2009 2.56am
I heartily agree with 'fortyfive' - it is a DREADFUL service! The Mayor must be a parrot! Blind, too.
Wednesday 29 April 2009 8.47pm
Surely the 360 must take The Crown for oldest buses, with its rather battered old R-reg buses?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions