London SE1 community website

"Dreadful" bus service on routes 1 and 78: Val Shawcross investigates

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Thursday 30 April 2009 11.58am
What does the word "recent" mean to Boris? The service on both these buses has been terrible since I started using them in February of 2008.
Monday 18 May 2009 11.21am
Transport for London have told Val Shawcross that a new timetable was introduced on route 78 in mid-April and the service should have improved since then.

Val would like to know if this claim is matched by the experience of regular passengers on route 78.

If you regularly use the 78 bus please vote in this poll:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/polls/?poll=route_78

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 28 May 2009 10.56am
no improvement in the 78 route at all. I used it to get home yesterday at 4pm and the overcrowding was horrendous as usual; driver wouldn't even open the front door after Tower Bridge.
I keep walking up the 78 route to get on earlier, to no avail. The 42 service has now been improved with new double deckers replacing the older(but far newer & nicer than the crappy ancient 78 ones) single decker buses. If they can do it? why not the 78 ''operator''.
Thursday 28 May 2009 2.56pm
I thought the 42 was only double deck on a Sunday when they had spare buses. Is it now double deck?
Saturday 6 June 2009 12.59pm
I agree, the 78 route is just terrible. When I changed work, and got a job just north of Liverpool Street Station I was initially thrilled that I had both 42 and 78 pretty much on my doorsteps and that they both stopped very near my office. At the end it just turned out to be so that I most of the time walked to the office - which I don't mind if weather is ok - because these two routes were just really really really terrible because a) they were always pretty busy b) I always had to wait ages to get a buss - unless it was already full then I had to wait for the next one...unless that one too was too busy. Walking along the route in the meantime often resulted in me being so near the office it never made sense to get one the buss at all...
Thursday 11 June 2009 12.18am
Nope, still horrible service. The 42 is sometimes a double decker, during the week -- not just Sundays. But it seems to be kind of random. I'd say one out of three or four times that I see it, it's a double decker. But it's great when it is, such a thrill to get on and off the bus without feeling like I've been mauled by tigers trying to push past the other passengers. Really, it's just a thrill to get on at all.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions