London SE1 community website

Noise problem from mental neighbour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Thursday 29 September 2016 9.12pm
Hi

I dont think what you put was offensive, mental health issues is what it is if thats what you have been told, how else are you supposed to explain it then. It seems now we have to tip toe around and be careful with every single word we say we write or use. I mean, come on people, this lady is having a bad time, so dont give her a bad time by quoting her words to her as being offensive. Try living in her situation and see the reality.

slushy wrote:
Thank you all for your response.
I turned to this forum as I've known it to be a good source of advice.

Regarding my use of the word "Mental", it's context was not used as a derogatory term. I am well aware of mental health issues as I am a volunteer at a mental health organisation once a week so did not say this to offend. The simple fact is that since I've been at the residence the noise has always been there. Maybe I was more preoccupied in those early days, maybe the said person was not having so many episodes(he is screaming as I type this), but is it too much to ask to be able to have the tv turned off and be able to settle down and read a book? I have to go to my bathroom for this. This is clearly not fair & my quality of life has deteriorated over the past few years. Southwark noise suggested he may also not be taking his medicine, there are treatments available to control this kind of behavior. In the nicest possible way I would like to be rid of him, but hopes that he gets the help he needs. I just don't see why I should bear the burden of his suffering also. I am living in a southwark council owned property. Any further advice greatly appreciated...
Thursday 29 September 2016 9.29pm
Off topic slightly Slushy , one often reads about people with mental health issues not taking essential medication enabling them to lead normal lives and the neighbours quiet ones. If Southwark noise dept. Are aware of this why can't they inform CPN? And why can't they make sure that patients have medication via implants? Bit like HRt. Living under conditions like this you'll end up needing a doctor.
As someone who's lived with a family member years ago who suffered from mental illness. I really sympathise.
Friday 30 September 2016 12.06am
I know this is not the case with slushy, but I do feel that when it comes to mentally ill people in the community, the community generally rolls with it. We have a poor fellow in our block and without wishing to be disrespectful, he can be hilarious what comes out of his mouth.

Thinking of him and his antics, I don't think he would ever be aware enough to target a specific person for a specific reason. He doesn't take his medication and shouts, a lot, about Russians usually. I know there will be different levels of mental instability, but I think this women's bull********.
Friday 30 September 2016 11.14pm
We have troublesome neighbour below with mental health issues but he has caused a lot of trouble and he also knows what he is doing and is aware of how far he can push things as well which at times does question his mental health, we also have neighbours living opposite us with mental health issues. but they keep to themselves but I feel that social services just left them to get on with it, as she had a baby in the flat and dont think she had proper medical care, the baby was removed by ambulance. Some years later the social services decide to actually bother with them, I rang social services previously when they was struggling and social services came just once in like four years to check on this, this is the reality of the system. Now they have people coming to check on them. Good luck with everything. Luckily the guy below has learned now not to interfere with us anymore or cause any other trouble...We try to avoid him when we can...and hope he remains as he is doing now.
Sunday 9 October 2016 8.45pm
We had very bad problems from a neighbour below with mental health issues over the time. He shouted abuse at me in street and in comunal garden up at our window. We think he was connected to breaking our windows at night after the fall out but was no proof, and had our car destroyed to. He also mixes with bad people himself. We used to have police in our block every week because of him accusing others of starting on him. He accused a man in next block of starting on him when the man was polite and kept to himself. He recently started on the lady in block adjoined to our comunal garden because she would not tell the police there was some one by his house she said she didnt see no one and he wanted her to lie to police and say she did see someone when clearly there was no one there, he imagines these things and its been going on for years. He has accused many of different things which has not even happened. He does it for attention, and if you dont go along with his fantasy he then turns on you. He has also caused trouble around the hall meetings before. But nothing is ever done about him, he is still living in flat below after years. Because he has mental illness the council and police dont want to address this but rather sweep under the carpet. Remember, they are not the ones living with this. From what I have read it costs them a lot of money to take it further and they simply dont want to. Our neighbour has even stood in front of gas emergency van in street because they came into our block for neighbour opposite and he wasnt told about it so got nasty again. They reported it the housing officer had told me when we reported him before. The people opposite now have injunction against him. We have to walk past his door to get out of the block, only way in and out. Now we ignore him, its the only way and all we can do. The council wont do nothing in these situations. The police wont do nothing either. I am sorry but this is the reality of it. The man below can be aggressive and has been. He punched his own father once when he could not get his own way. We dont bow down to him like some do around here. He knows this now. He has tried to speak to me since but I make it noted that I am not interested. I guess it could end up drawn out in court for years, then they will say, mental health issues to council you cant remove this person. I have read cases on it before with others. Unfortunately we cant choose our neighbours. I know how you feel. We get little to no support in this life.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions