London SE1 community website

Quality Food - Bargain Price

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 17 February 2009 3.01pm
Ditto. If its still on the shlf come Monday its a miracle!
Wednesday 18 February 2009 2.13pm
Bread economy tip: The Flour Power stall on stoney street at Borough Market has a bread slicer. You do have to ask themn to slice it for you, but it means you get 20 medium slices of lovely bread for use, rather than six doorstops and a big bag of crumbs.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 2.18pm
I agree about the middle eastern supermarket on the junction of southwark park road & st James rd (think its called St James' Supermarket) - great food, great fresh selecion, great prices and very good staff.

Also, the Chinese supermarket further down Southwark Park Road (opposite the blue) is also great. Every Thursday they get fresh veg in from Vietnam - fantastic

Better ingredients than the chains - and they need our help to survive - so please do try them.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 9.12pm
Suffolk Meats on Great Suffolk St near Borough High St is a great family butcher with really reasonable prices. Lovely people too.
There's also a greengrocer a few doors down with surprisingly low prices.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 11.33pm
Agreed. I did a very good dinner for friends tonight with produce from Eric's and Suffolk Meats - 2 a head.
Thursday 19 February 2009 10.33am
reece wrote:
There's also a greengrocer a few doors down with surprisingly low prices.

Second that. He is really good, cheap and very friendly.
Thursday 19 February 2009 4.53pm
MonnowRoader wrote:

Also, the Chinese supermarket further down Southwark Park Road (opposite the blue) is also great. Every Thursday they get fresh veg in from Vietnam - fantastic

I agree about this Asian supermarket. Their fresh stuff is great, but they also have a fantastic selection in the freezer. Kingfish, bags of pork and veggie dumplings for steaming and edamame. Plus a huge selection of prawns and crabs of various sizes and shapes!

There's also another Chinese supermarket off the Old Kent Road by Asda, I think it's on Ossory Road, that has fantastic and cheap dried mushrooms, that add real depth and flavour to soups, risotto etc etc.
Thursday 19 February 2009 5.12pm
Also I have never seen pre-packed fruit or vegetables in the Borough Market with a 'sell-by' date on it.

In my books that's a good thing!
Thursday 19 February 2009 7.19pm
williamn wrote:
Also I have never seen pre-packed fruit or vegetables in the Borough Market with a 'sell-by' date on it.
In my books that's a good thing!

Second that, williamn - the definition of and obsession with 'sell by' and 'best before' dates [which are not the same, but often confused in the consumers minds] is distorting our perception of what is fit to eat...and drink.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions