London SE1 community website

Arancia

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 19 February 2009 7.53am
Will someone enlighten me as to where this is?
Thursday 19 February 2009 8.45am
52 Southwark Park Road

http://www.arancia-london.co.uk/
Monday 23 February 2009 8.31am
A 12 year lease??? Surely in this economic climate few businesses would be willing to commit to that, and indeed landlords should be thankful for *any* lease renewal, be it year-on-year?

I'm not in the hospitality (or real estate!) business, so maybe I'm missing something.
Wednesday 25 February 2009 10.05pm
JonR wrote:

It never really appeared to be in the right place, maybe if it'd been situated on TBR, Jamaica Rd, or nearer The Blue, that would have made a difference.

Possibly, I'm unsure personally.
I only dined there twice, I didn't feel that comfortable with the too close for comfort, eating in mum's front room layout, but the food was fine. I had the feeling though that the clientele saw themselves as ground breaking pioneers, akin to the first white people venturing into darkest Brixton for curried goat.
This was when it had only been open for around a year, maybe it had changed and the influx of new blood into SE1 had a different take on things than a died in the wool albeit erudite to a degree Bermondsey boy/man.
Thursday 26 February 2009 1.05am
Just re-read my earlier post and realised that I spelt dyed as died, how embarrassing, must take it easy on the Pinot Grigio prior to posting!
yas
Friday 27 February 2009 10.23pm
I'm so sorry to read this. I have been going here for almost 10 years but I have to say i've never felt completely safe walking down that end of the road after dinner.

If it were down Bermondsey Street or Tower Bridge road (replace the Fermata!!), i think they would have been packed out every night.

I do hope the restaurateur reconsiders relocating instead. The chocolate souffle is fantastic!!!
Sunday 1 March 2009 8.42pm
What a shame!

Arancia sold some of the tastiest, most original Italian food I've ever had.

One summer evening on our first visit to Arancia we had a fantastic meal and then spent the next couple of hours drinking a couple of bottles of sherry which we ended up sharing with the waiter! We've been back many times since, but not for ages. It's a shame that you take places like that for granted until they've gone.

I hope they re-open in another guise in the future.
Sunday 1 March 2009 10.34pm
Count me in for a 'last supper'. Is anyone organising anything?
Monday 2 March 2009 10.16am
ohh no. This is a real shame. Arancia is one of our favorite restaurants in all of London. Such great cooking and good value. Deeply gutted.

Agree the location is a bit random - but I always felt that was part of it's appeal, it's a real locals find. It also helped to keep the prices so low I'm sure. It would be great to see it open up somewhere in a more obvious location - TBR or Bermondsey St.

Count us in a proper send off.
Monday 2 March 2009 10.42am
I thought they had already closed.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions