London SE1 community website

Waterloo house featured on Channel 4 'Grand Designs'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 23 January 2004 1.19pm

Steven...at last another Phil fan!!!
I am not alone.
Friday 23 January 2004 1.25pm
There are some photos of the work in progress etc at http://www.mcdlondon.co.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 January 2004 1.30pm
Lol - no, you're not alone Daniel... He is terribly handsome....
jac
Friday 23 January 2004 3.21pm
Im with R shaw re the brick wall issue and think the LFO were just being bloody minded.

Yes the original plans showed yellow stocks were to be used but then they used another type (cant rememebr what they were called) as they felt it best matched the majority of the exsisting wall which was a bit of a mis-mash. I think the brick they used was the best match and yellow stocks would have been wrong.

Can I detect a bit of envy in some posts at a coupple who obviously live in another world to the majority in SE1. I personally think they did a great job even though it's not to my taste. I just hope they open next open house weekend, I will be queing to get a closer look. I have past this house entrance many times and only relatively recently I got a glimpse into the the scale of what was going on behind what at first appears to be a terraced house with garage door on the ground floor. I just love Londons hiddened buildings and alway want to see more or whats behind the scenes
Friday 23 January 2004 3.44pm
jac - completely agree - it's a brave project. I too love the concept of 'hidden' dwellings. Sadly London doesn't have the buildings typical of some [hotter] European cities where its practical to enter houses via an inner courtyard that can only be glimpsed from the street. I'm quite tempted to gawp at these places given half a chance but I think I'll content myself with mag and tv shots, because I've always felt a bit uncomfortable about going on the Open House tours of private homes! [not being critical of you - just my own scruples]
Friday 23 January 2004 8.47pm
Well, thanks to the link given by James, I now know the address of the property (no, I won't go stalking them)... but I like to whip out my A-Z and get a sense of where places are...

And from a 'chatter' point of view - I watch all the property shows on Channel 4 and any other channels we can get. I really like Kirsty on Location, Location - I miss Diarmuid Gavin & Laurence Lewellyn -Bowen on 'Home Front', though. For me it's pure escapism for an hour or so - you can transport yourself to another place and way of life - but I'm afraid if I want a t.v. programme which is a little nearer to my own life - it has to be Kim and Aggy on 'How Clean is your House' - nothing like a bit of dirt to cheer me up and make me feel good about my own home....

for the record - I thought the new bricks in the 1.2 million house jarred a bit compared to the other ones in the area.. and for a project of that magnitude, you'd think they'd have clarified those details before they started building...
em
Monday 26 January 2004 1.19pm
for those fans of the 'beanie-baby' out there, my boyfriend recommends the series book (available cheap on book-people.com) for lots of alluring photos of the lady draped over cement mixers, b+d workmates etc surrounded by piles of rubble. cheap thrills indeed.
CS
Monday 26 January 2004 2.04pm
I think there's going to be another SE1 property featured on Grand Designs. There was a quick glimpse of what I think is the building-work on Union Street, next to the Palestra site (corner of Blackfriars Rd).

Anyone shed any more light?
Wednesday 11 May 2005 9.58pm
Anyone else see the follow-up tonight?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 May 2005 9.58pm by James Hatts.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 10.45pm
Yes, this was the final final follow up, it seems to have been on at least three times!

Final result was they got away with just having to add a paint effect to the party wall that the neighbouring LFO wanted re-bricking in the original London Stock - although they wouldn't allow them access to do it, so the poor painters were having to lean off the fire escape. And a total build price of 1.9 million I think... bargain!

Stunning interior though, shame about the neighbourly conflict...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-designs/houses/W/waterloo_gallery.html

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 May 2005 10.48pm by markandjoan.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions