London SE1 community website

Waterloo house featured on Channel 4 'Grand Designs'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Friday 27 May 2011 6.20pm
Well it was rather a childish post so didn't feel obliged to comment on that.
Saturday 28 May 2011 12.07am
Dyslexia? English not their first language?
Give me a break!
Someone whose first language is written in the cyrillic alphabet could have made a better job of that post.
My guess is that, for some reason, it was composed in that style by someone of average intelligence, in order to see what comments it would draw.
I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone could compose such a childish hotchpotch of drivel, misspelling, and grammatical inaccuracies by mistake.
Saturday 28 May 2011 7.37am
Hang on! Are we all getting excited about a programme that was shown seven years ago?!
Saturday 28 May 2011 8.54am
People posting to this and other forums get rather worked up about a lot of things (I've probably been guilty of it myself). The anonymity of such forms of communication has been identified as a key factor in research on such matters but it would be nice if people thought twice before posting things that are simple attacks on a person. T Murphy made a similar point to Hi1714, though expressed less strongly, but the cheap shot about the quality of English in the post in question hardly leads to constructive dialogue. The quality of expression varies enormously in this forum (for a whole of host of reasons, I'm sure) and it would be nice if people simply accepted that fact, rather than implicitly policing who is allowed to express an opinion here by undermining them through grammar surveillance.

As for the programme, I'm a bit of a Grand Designs addict though I do sometimes find myself feeling a distinct lack of sympathy for the people struggling to build their home when they demonstrate a lack of consideration for those around them and such conspicuous wealth.
Saturday 28 May 2011 9.22am
Debrajoan wrote:
My guess is that, for some reason, it was composed in that style by someone of average intelligence, in order to see what comments it would draw.
I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone could compose such a childish hotchpotch of drivel, misspelling, and grammatical inaccuracies by mistake.

Way to go dj, From the relative safety of my Anderson shelter, and with a saucepan over my head for protection I tend to agree.
As an aside, I did not see the programme in question, I have no interest in that type of thing, but I did spend a considerable amount having a new kitchen installed, because that is what my wife wanted and I think the world of her.
I punch a taxi all around this city for four long days per week to earn my corn and I could care less if anyone thinks that I'm behaving like a "horrid Tory banker" because I chose to spend it on a kitchen.
Jac
Saturday 28 May 2011 10.02am
The programme was originally shown some years ago and if i remember correctly that was the cost of the oven not the kitchen. I remember the programme for two reasons one i walked past the property regularly at the time it was being worked on and was fascinated by the fact you just would not know what was behind such an inconspicuous entrance and two as some one who knows a thing or two about kitchens and cooking, I could not understand why anyone would want to spend that amount of money on a oven even they had that sort of dosh. It just would not be suitable for home cooking. I seem to recall it didn't even work properly when she got it.

Thought the couple where ok but agree with bdim I do not always like the participants in grand designs and not just cos I envy them.
Saturday 28 May 2011 11.22am
Money alas doesn't always equate to taste. I bought am original 50's cooker off of eBay for 120 many years ago and it is always the talking point when people come round, often by those who have Smegs domineering their kitchens. My New World is a classic design (dish warming rack no less) weighs a ton and has a grill pan called 'Radiation':-)
Thursday 7 January 2016 12.44am
Great stuff. This has just been aired here in Australia. I'm so glad the wall didn't have to come down.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions