London SE1 community website

Ideas for empty newsagent's shop in Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 20 February 2009 2.55pm
Those previous owners were the friendliest shopkeepers I've met in SE1, especially the woman. She was really relaxed too and made me feel nice. If the Indian restaurant suggestion was that they opened it themselves she would be such a lovely hostess. They should do it.

Otherwise, I quite fancy a creperie. The one near Gabriels Wharf is just that bit too far.
Friday 20 February 2009 2.58pm
beetroot wrote:
Those previous owners were the friendliest shopkeepers I've met in SE1, especially the woman. She was really relaxed too and made me feel nice.

Too true she was charming. Shame they never seemed to have much on the shelves.

beetroot wrote:
Otherwise, I quite fancy a creperie. The one near Gabriels Wharf is just that bit too far.

I quite fancy a gun shop, so I could go about bagging myself a fox or two.
Friday 20 February 2009 4.04pm
Thanks Beetroot - yes they were really very nice but they've moved away from the area.

I was really sorry to see them go too as besides being such lovely shopkeepers they very kindly took my post in as deliveries in the area are a nightmare.

The new owners say they don't want to run a food place (two or three food places already there). Oh and by the way they are very nice too - as demonstrated by their asking what would fit in best and be of use to those in the area or passing by.
Friday 20 February 2009 11.47pm
Well, given our depression-era times, a pound-shop would probably be a good idea, and I will be there to buy cheap bargain packs of loo roll, light bulbs, washing up liquid and batteries.

Of course, it would be nice to see a small boutique book shop, along the lines of the LRB shop, but I doubt it would survive in that area... I am not even sure how well Crockatt & Powell are doing in Waterloo.
Saturday 21 February 2009 4.18pm
i too vote for a chemist. esp at the weeknd hard to find locally. or a bakery with proper bread. but not very recession friendly either.
great idea of the new owners to ask.
Thursday 5 March 2009 5.34pm
Thanks everyone - all your suggestions were passed to the new owners and I believe they've decided on a bakery. The shop is being refurbished over Easter.

They did say that a chemist would be a good but they would then need a different licence.

For those interested I have heard that the Chemist on Borough High Street (London Bridge end) is going to give Saturday opening a try. Unfotunately I don't know of any dates though.
Thursday 5 March 2009 8.56pm
Looks like I'm too late now, but are you aware that Bankside Residents' Forum has done a shopping survey asking just the question that you have asked, ie. what shopping facilities do people want locally that ae not being provided at the moment?

My personal requests (academic now, I assume):

1. Hardware shop
2. Charity shop
3. Pound shop
Friday 6 March 2009 12.50pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
Looks like I'm too late now, but are you aware that Bankside Residents' Forum has done a shopping survey asking just the question that you have asked, ie. what shopping facilities do people want locally that ae not being provided at the moment?
My personal requests (academic now, I assume):

1. Hardware shop
2. Charity shop
3. Pound shop

Hi TUMJ - there's a large hardware shop on Southwark Street, in the premises that used to be the Bramah Tea Museum.
Friday 6 March 2009 1.14pm
Its Leyland and apart from selling evil glue traps its brilliant.
Friday 6 March 2009 2.56pm
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. I will have to investigate and see whether it does more than just paints (and evil glue).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions