London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13
hat
Wednesday 17 March 2004 12.36pm
Harriet if you can send me the Simon Hughes letter as a PDF, that would be great.
I'll go back through this thread and try and pick up all the details, although if people want to email me their details (thanks Maurit's for yours) that would be a help. I've got quite a lot of experience at being a spokesperson, but if anyone else wants to join me on this, that would be great.
SE1 Postal campaign sounds like a good name - I'll use that for now, unless anyone comes up with a better name...

Hat
Wednesday 17 March 2004 12.51pm
Dear Sirs
I have been contact by Maurits Kalff in connection with the ongoing postal problems in SE1. I understand my colleague, Simon Hughes, organised a public meeting a few weeks ago, and that the situation is now being closely monitored by the Post Office.

I spoke to Simon last night, who confirmed that the Police investigation is nearing completion, and he will seek to arrange a further public meeting in the next few weeks.

Reading through the contents of this thread I am seriously concerned at the number of packages/valuable items that have gone missing in recent weeks. This seems to have reached almost epidemic proportions. It seems quite clear to me, that there needs to be a combined police investigation, into all of the items that have gone missing.

In order for me to take this up with the Borough Commander, I would be grateful if someone could collate and send me a list of all items that have gone missing, together with the delivery address, the date they were due to be received and also whether the 'loss' was reported to the police. I know that a number of individuals will have reported losses, however, in order for me to approach the Borough Commander, I will need a comprehensive list of all those affected.

Further, I note from the thread that you are seeking publicity around your campaign. Could I suggest you contact Southwark News (who I'm sure would be delighted to run a story/photo) and also South London Press. Organisations dislike negative publicity intensely, and this may help speed up the return of a decent postal service to your area.

I have advised Simon that I will keep him upto date with progress vis-a-vis the poice investigation and will be happy to come along to the next meeting to update you all with progress.

Cllr Richard Porter
Executive Member for Community Safety, Social Inclusion and Youth
And Liberal Democrat Member for Livesey Ward
London Borough of Southwark and Safer Southwark Partnership

Southwark Town Hall
Peckham Road
London
SE5 8UB

PA. Janice Miller - 020 7525 7158
E-mail: [email protected]

Cllr Richard Porter
Executive Member for Community Safety, Social Inclusion and Youth
And Liberal Democrat Member for Livesey Ward

London Borough of Southwark
hat
Wednesday 17 March 2004 1.00pm
Dear Richard,

I am attempting to collate the information by the end of next week, which I can then pass on to you. If you could then let me (and this site) know what the response from the Borough Commander is after your meeting, as it would be useful to put into the Press release.

Hat
Wednesday 17 March 2004 1.26pm
For the record, my stolen items include:

1 birth certificate (posted Sept 2002, never received, not reported to police)

2 books sent from same organisation in London. First was sent June 2003 but never received, replacement copy sent Nov 2003 but was never received. Not reported to police.

1 package of books from Amazon.co.uk, purchased Nov 2003, never received. Not reported to police.

I'd be happy to send you details of the delivery address if you send your contact details to [email protected]
Wednesday 17 March 2004 1.42pm
My missing items so far are:

1 x video from my Mother

1 x pair of tickets for Tv show

1 x hospital letter

1 x parcel of magazine/paper clippings and photos of sentimental value from my Mother

Numerous parcels from amazon,

I can not remenber them all as They have been going missing spasmodically since 2001.
Most recently a package of four books in february. All reported to Amazon, but nothing to the police.

I am willing to provide all my delivery details etc, just mail me a contact address or number to

[email protected]

thanks all for helping to get to the bottom of this

Jo
Wednesday 17 March 2004 1.44pm
You can find details of the information Hat needs, and where to send it, at http://www.London-SE1.co.uk/postalservice/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 17 March 2004 1.57pm
Sharing my experiences it would seem I'm in some form of golden post bubble on Tabard Steet as I have had no problems with my post at all (that I'm aware of). In fact I'd say it is a lot better than when I lived in Camden. For example, I ordered a train ticket online yesterday afternoon and it arrived by post this morning 8:30...from Edinburgh (and untampered with).

Had three 'interesting' looking bits of post (amongst others) in the last two weeks; a greetings card and two wedding invites, again these arrived when expected and unmolested.

That said I do insist on registered delivery to work for credit cards, cheque books etc and get online purchases sent to work too so maybe my post isn't exciting enough to raise crim eyebrows.

Utterly appreciate the problems that you've all mentioned but does this mean that the responsibility might be weighted towards the postman rather than sorting office?
Wednesday 17 March 2004 2.16pm
three cheers for hat for collating the evidence

gggggrrrrrruuff
Wednesday 17 March 2004 2.22pm
Just wanted to add my 'evidence' and thank everyone who has tried to get this sorted.

I have had exactly the same Time Out subscription experience as everyone else - it used to just go missing or come very late. Now it is delivered in an envelope and it comes 1-2 days late. I was going to cancel it and write to Time Out and the Post Office explaining why (if they cant sort the problem out between them, they both lose my business).

I also experience 'clumping' where I get nothing for days then a big pile on one day.

I also get completely spurious mail which is not even close in number or street name which I feel obliged to re-post.

Wednesday 17 March 2004 7.47pm
Richard, thank you! I am sure that everyone feels very supported by your reply and action!

Yellow Belly-- I have exactly the same problems with Time Out and the 'clumping' !
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions