London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Current: 13 of 13
Wednesday 31 March 2004 9.52am
Just thought I would add a few comments based on the letter I've received from Postwatch this morning, which attaches Royal Mail's response to my complaint about my missing DVDs.

The general thrust is, yes we know things aren't good, we are trying to improve them, but things do occasionally go missing in the post and there's just nothing we can do about it.

Which is all fine, so far as it goes - except that neither Royal Mail nor Postwatch have even attempted to address the main point of my complaint which is that of the 5 DVDs I ordered, 3 went missing (the big name films) and the other two that were delivered (the Japanese ones) had been opened and resealed. My complaint wasn't actually about the items going missing, but about the apparent interception of my mail.

Also, interestingly, Postwatch say they don't know anything about a criminal investigation taking place in relation to post in SE1. We have been told twice (by Simon Hughes and by Cllr Porter) that there is such an investigation.

Finally, I might be less upset about this anodyne response if Postwatch had sent me the free book of stamps they have sent everyone else who complains ! [Not that I would have used them] ;-)

Wednesday 31 March 2004 11.51am
I hear you Harriet. This is exactly what upset me when I received letters about various items that went missing - they missed the point that I was fearful about identity theft and had had money stolen from my bank account. I seem to remember getting what looked like a form letter, telling me how many million items Royal Mail deals with per day, and how it is inevitable that the odd things goes missing. I was nearly apoplectic with rage, as there is a clear difference between something going missing, and targeted theft.
Wednesday 31 March 2004 4.19pm
APPALING!
"something going missing occasionally" when there have been at least 4 cases of identity theft, and that is just from people reading this forum.
watchdog still seems to be a good idea, negative media attention seems to get people/ companies moving in general.
i still haven't got a letter from postwatch.

schnake

Wednesday 31 March 2004 5.27pm
James H, can you start a new thread? this one is getting quite unwieldy...

cheers mate, keep up the good work.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Current: 13 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions