London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13
Wednesday 4 February 2004 1.35pm
Our usual postie was off last week, so they used a cover person. This cover person left three parcels outside my door (I live in a block of 11 flats and mine is the first door, plus the security door doesn;t work meaning anyone can get in anytime) - one of which was supposed to be signed for. Luckily a neighbour found them and took them in. I wrote an email to the post office and they acted promptly saying they have told this cover person to do things properly. I told them he should be sacked!

Jenny
Thursday 5 February 2004 1.31am
A neighbour has had a cheque for several thousand pounds cashed, and the bank are now accusing him of fraud because he reported it missing.
Thursday 5 February 2004 1.12pm
On 28 January information regarding a credit card I applied for was posted to me first class. It arrived on 4 February, and one side of the envelope had been lifted to examine the contents. So not only late but tampered with ....again......

Jenny-- sacked?? what are you talking about. Showing such an astounding level of early incompetence they probably promoted him! It's the Royal Mail way.
Friday 13 February 2004 11.42am
It seems that there are problems with sent mail also, I recieved an e-mail this morning from somebody in Hull telling me that a cheque that I'd sent them on 30/12/03 had finally arrived, this had caused me a great deal of embarassment. I only wonder now when the replacement cheque that I sent a month ago might arrive?
Friday 13 February 2004 12.01pm
Ah we've had yet more problems too.

An old business who used to be in our building had their post redirected to one of their houses but have apparently been receiving a lot of our post which they have been redirecting, they have contacted royal mail to try to get it sorted but to no avail.

Problem is none of this redirected stuff has got back to us and a parcel arrived there last week that was too big to put in a post box. Phoned royal mail to get it sorted out. They say it's impossible for someone to have mail redirection from multi tenanted buildings and that they would not get the parcel picked up and delivered back to us. Told them that our MP is looking into mail problems in this area so maybe they would like to pull their fingers out. didn't get a call back

ah what fun
Saturday 14 February 2004 6.15pm
I thought I was getting quite a good postal service... but all my Valentine's Cards seem to have gone missing....
Monday 16 February 2004 11.04am

DEAR ALL,

Further to the public meeting which was held at the Blue Eyed Maid public house on Friday, 23rd January about the postal service in SE1, I have now met with three representatives from Royal Mail. Of the three present Tony Phelan and Tom Willis are responsible for the running of the Southwark Delivery Office based in Mandela Way, SE1 whilst the Head Office was represented by Simon Storer, the Senior External Relations Manager.

I felt that this meeting was both positive and constructive and I was able to discuss in detail the specific problems which had been brought to my attention. Although there were no formal minutes taken at the meeting I did consolidate, in writing, the issues that were raised. These were forwarded shortly afterwards to those that had been present at the meeting. I should explain that I also wrote separately to Mr Storer with a list of all those who have contacted me so far to express their dissatisfaction with the postal service in SE1. In this letter I asked for Royal Mail's assurance that all those individuals named would be contacted individually and that their specific concerns or complaints be addressed in full.

The other matter to arise from my meeting with the Royal Mail representatives was a future plan of action whereby the distribution of post could be monitored in the short to medium term. This involves a series of test documents being sent to two addresses in the SE1 area - my constituency office and my home. We decided that this would continue until later this month at which time I could then arrange a further meeting with those from Royal Mail. This would perhaps be a suitable time for those who met with me previously to reconvene; any others who wished to attend would of course, also be welcome.

As soon as the results of the monitoring period have been successfully collated and I have met again with the Royal Mail representatives, I will suggest a time and venue for a second, public meeting to be held. As before, details will be published on this thread within the forum and at the SE1 post campaign webpage(www.london-se1.co.uk/postalservice/).

Until this time I will continue to monitor the website forum and I would be grateful to receive any further complaints or information which you, your friends, colleagues or families may have regarding this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in writing at the House of Commons or via email ([email protected]).

Yours sincerely,

Simon Hughes MP
Monday 16 February 2004 11.48am
Good work Mr Hughes.

Good idea to try and track delivery times and completeness. However, I suggest that using your address for the test is likely to produce falsely good results.

If the post problems that we've all experienced involve any deliberate actions by the postmen (i.e. if missing letters are dumped rather than spontaneously combusting, or simply vanishing in a Harry Potter style), and if the cheques that have ended up being cashed elsewhere were deliberately stolen by anyone involved with postal delivery in SE1 (rather than, say, teleported away by aliens), then whoever is doing it might just be smart enough NOT to mess with the delivery of our local MP.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 10.39am
Thank you Mr Hughes for taking this up for us.

As usual, Ivanhoe has beaten me to it with his incomparable sagacity.

I believe our problem is not particularly focussed on general mail. I don't know how many posters we have on this forum, but if 1% of all mail gets lost - according to the Royal Mail - then it is no surprise that when somebody posts a thread 'I lost some post' then somebody else can agree.

I should suggest that a more reliable test would be for Mr Hughes to start getting credit cards sent out to all sorts of addresses, and monitoring the arrival of these items. Likewise 'interesting' looking parcels, sent non-registered liberally splattered with 'Warning, valuable books inside, do not bend'. On second thoughts, maybe the promise of mail order mobile telephones would be more exciting for our friends!
Wednesday 18 February 2004 9.03am
Well, well, well,
Seems I've made a grave error, a letter from Mr. Hughes which was posted at 8:01pm last night arrived at 7:50am today. What a wonderful postal service! Many thanks for your efforts Simon, but the cynic in me expected that to happen.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions