London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 13
Wednesday 18 February 2004 9.31am
I too received two letters from Simon Hughes' office today, posted last night. Still biting my nails over the credit card I ordered, however.
Wednesday 18 February 2004 10.18am
The post survey people called me last night, and (finally) asked me if I was still interested in doing post-tracking.

If this produces any interesting experiences, I'll post them up here.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 18 February 2004 10.22am
Yeah, they called me too.

As for Nancy, Hill's Science Diet from the vet is much better than Whiskas. Not expensive.
Wednesday 18 February 2004 11.00am
They called me too, and am now receiving post from them to track and report back.
Its a fairly easy process - you receive post and log it on a sheet and send it back to them.
So far I've received 3 pieces of post from them, not much to report, other than things seem to be arriving with me on time.
There's no particular mark on the envelopes to alert royal mail that they are research letters, they vary between hand written envelopes or printed, and look just like ordinary post.
If there's anything else to report I'll post it here.
Thursday 19 February 2004 10.54pm
My bank has just stopped one of my cheques that had been made out for the sum of 9,600.62p - (luckily) my account had insufficient funds to honour the cheque. It turns out that the cheque is from a new cheque book sent by post to me in November 2003...but never arrived!

I reported this incident to the Police earlier this evening, and was told that they are getting four or five of these incidents reported to them, every week!
Beware!
Tuesday 24 February 2004 7.28pm
I have noticed a few more SE1 addresses amongst my test items for the central postal survey, must be some of you lot! This week I have though ironically enough been without any mail at all so far- also the package for this week's test items to send is missing. Just when I thought it was Ok around here... my regular, reliable postie must be on holidays or something.

Tuesday 24 February 2004 11.00pm
I have been reading this thread with great interest,
The post seems as bad as ever here,
I had a letter sent with postal orders in that didnt arrive, trying to find out if they have been cashed.
an important letter from work never arrived, and nearly every card i recieve has been tampered with. Getting to the point I m panicking about anything important being sent.

mart
Thursday 26 February 2004 1.55pm
A letter posted yesterday arrived promptly this morning bearing a bar-coded sticker which read: 1st/2nd class recorded delivery, must be signed for.
The people who sent it obviously required confirmation that I had received it. I never signed for it.
Thursday 26 February 2004 2.26pm
I moved in December to this area and have my mail redirected to my new address. Yesterday I was in my old neighbourhood and decided to have a look in the main hall of my former apartment building to see if there would be some mail for me there. And, yes: more than 30 letters, bills, magazines etc were waiting for me and were not redirected. I have paid the Royal Mail 32 for this, but they obviously can't deliver.

Time Out now sends me the issues in a neutral brown enveloppe and in stead of a week late, it now arrives 2 days late, i.e. on Friday rather than Wednesday. Still not good.
Thursday 26 February 2004 2.56pm
While it's great that Simon Hughes has looked into this for us, I am almost certain it is not going to help with the cases of postal fraud, as per Jonathan and Mart's recent postings.

Surely this needs action that is more about an investigation into these crimes.

I am still hoping that Time Out will take up our cause and create additional pressure on the postal system for a proper enquiry.

The story surely is 'beware of moving to SE1' - quite a scoop!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions