London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 13
Thursday 11 March 2004 1.18pm
Post problems continue for me too. I've just realised I haven't had a bank statement since December!
Thursday 11 March 2004 1.23pm
Ivanhoe Martin suggested some very innovative ideas for the local distribution on post

(see http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/8817 )

Back to basics.....
Thursday 11 March 2004 3.23pm
Yes Matt, but you have to be very careful about anything he says. I've heard rumours that he doesn't always mean it.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 11 March 2004 3.44pm
Cathy I contacted Research International, got an email back but didn't hear any more. Maybe they tried to send me something in the post.....
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.29pm
rach, they took a good few weeks to get back to me, but I'm now a fully signed up secret posting squirrel and have made my first postings this week.

even if you're not at all concerned about the dire post situation in SE1, I say it's well worth doing for the feeling that you're a secret agent. Turned positively schoollboyish when I got my envelope for the week telling me to post certain things to mysterious people at pre-set times and dates. I am spending a lot of time at the moment thinking about disguises (other than a merkin, which I think can only really be used once), and imagining that Judy Dench is licking my envelopes.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
hat
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.30pm
I just moved to SE1 with my boyfriend,and post had been fine so far (apart from late delivered Time Out) until this week...My boyfriend got a call from his bank asking if he had written a cheque for 80,000? Strangely enough, he hadn't, but it was from a chequebook sent to our new address that never arrived...I'm just surprised that the thieves would think they would ever get that amount of money from anyone's account! The bank is apparently sorting it out - but should we contact the local police as well?
hat
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.38pm
Rach - it took them a while to contact me after they sent the email. Wait and see what happens, I think it just takes some time their end to sign you up, I'm sure it was a couple of weeks before they got back to me.

hat - I had a cheque stolen that was used to set up a bogus account in my name. I was told to report it to the police, to get a crime number to give to the fraud dept at the bank where it was cashed. Essentially you've had a cheque book stolen so you probably should report it. And the more reports there are to Southwark police about stolen items from the post the better - it will only help our case...
hat
Thursday 11 March 2004 5.46pm
Thanks Tanya,
We'll do that - it's the fraudulent account setting up that most worries the boyfriend. You can set up a warning against your name with the credit reference agencies, that means they do extra checks to help stop identity fraud. This link explains it a bit better than I do...

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/issues/identitytheft.html

Hat
Saturday 13 March 2004 5.08pm
My post seems to be getting worse now.
After the video that never arrived from my mum, I have lost/had stolen, a parcel from amazon and some tickets to a tv show filming.

This is getting pretty upsetting, worrying and bl**dy annoying!!!!

After reading the above posts about fraudulent use of our lost post I think I need to take this further and am asking anyone who has already complained to the post office or whatever to let me know what I should try next.

I really hope that we get this sorted very soon as I love shoppping online instead of battling the shops and don`t want to have to change my habits because the Royal Mail can`t do its job.

Jo.
Sunday 14 March 2004 10.50pm
another tale of poor postal service to add.

I received notice from the student loans company that my deferment period was up, and I would have to apply to defer again within 14 days etc etc. I received the letter saying this on 11 March, and though I was being efficient by filling it in today. Have just noticed however that the letter is dated 28 February, so I will now no doubt have a battle on my hands thanks to the continuing crapness (was going to say inefficiency but I think that beats around the bush) of Royal Mail.
We should get the press involved like Watchdog or something of that ilk.

Can't believe the 80 grand cheque, but definitely do get a police report to protect yourself.

When I thought this was just happening to me at the beginning of last year, my parents read an article out of the Telegraph to me, saying that Royal mail *know* there are organised criminal gangs infiltrating sorting / delivery offices. With this amount of evidence why have they not done anything about it / been able to identify the culprits?

Whenever I have complained, Royal Mail and the ever useless postwatch have always tried to claim that perhaps the senders of post never sent the items in the first place, and other ludicrous arguments, yet they are supposed to be aware that criminal gangs are sabotaging the mail. What the hell is going on???!!
Current: 7 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions