London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 13
Sunday 14 March 2004 11.42pm
In the Observer Magazine today it said SE London is the worst place in the country for credit card fraud... wonder if there's a link?
Monday 15 March 2004 1.37pm
Can anyone tell me who to write (yes, write) to to complain about the tampered mail I receive? I Live off Tower bridge Rd and suspect that I need to contact mandela Way.
thanks

PS. this morn i received some junk mail questionnaire. The envelope had been torn in a corner. Inside there was a pen cap, no pen. The cap had got stuck. i later found a pen (no cap) outside my flat.
rm
Monday 15 March 2004 2.04pm
watchdog sounds like a good idea..............

anyone else up for it?
Monday 15 March 2004 2.27pm
RM what a very good idea

I have had more problems mail has be redirected to old tenant's new address in Feb the royal mail were picking it up, which they have done in the 2 weeks ago, but they have put it back in the post and has not turned up yet. The official line now is 'if it doesn't turn up in 15!!!! working days then it's treated as lost' and if it's officially lost then tough it's lost.

also 3 months of contact lenses have gone missing in the last week.

and we haven't had post today either.

I was wondering, it must be possible for banks to send out credit cards/cheque books that are dummy ones that can get posted to areas where there are lots of problems like this. The proper recipient would know not to use it but anyone who tries to use it would get nabbed??
Monday 15 March 2004 2.30pm
from experience, the more you pester Postwatch, the more they do. However, they have said themselves (and I've also heard it said by someone on Royal Mail's own customer services) that the SE1 sorting office is a law unto itself.

I've not heard back from Postwatch on their report yet, but that might be useful to you if we were to go to Watchdog/Time Out?
Monday 15 March 2004 2.53pm
Watchdog is a very good idea. I know that that is the nightmare scenario for nearly every company in the country and the Royal Mail can't be insensitive to that.

A cheque that has been sent to me on the 5th of March has not arrived yet. I guess it is stolen.
hat
Monday 15 March 2004 3.03pm
It does seem to be completely mad that anything interesting has to be sent to a work address now, as it'll just go missing in SE1. 3 cd's sent to the postally deprived boyfriend by his sister over a week and half ago have clearly gone the way of the chequebook! What's the URL for Postwatch? What's the next step then - emailing (not using the post) Time Out and Watchdog and seeing what they say? What about the politically unsound, but generally outraged Evening Standard. Isn't this their sort of thing?
Monday 15 March 2004 3.04pm
Looks like we can contact Watchdog via their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/
rm
Monday 15 March 2004 3.11pm
what about BBC London News as well? [email protected]

Would anyone like to coordinate this 'media' attack?

It seems to be the only viable option - you never know it might get results....
Monday 15 March 2004 4.30pm
This site, I love it.

I found the number of postwatch (08457 740 740) on the earlier string. I rang. Got through to a call centre in Manchester. However, a helpful chap gave me Postwatch's address (28 Grosvenor Gdns, London SW1W 0TT) and the local manager (Tony Phelan, Southwark Delivery Office, 4 Mandela Way, SE1 5SE).

I've only vaguely followed this string, but this morning changed all that (see my posting above). tampering with the Queen's (and mine) mail is an outrage.

Get writing, unity is strength.
Current: 8 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions