London SE1 community website

SE1 postal service problems (now closed)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 13
hat
Monday 15 March 2004 5.42pm
I'm willing to take on writing letters, but as a relatively recent "blow in" I'm not sure I know all the ins and outs of it as well as some people, who've been suffering for longer. But if anyone wants my help - I'm offering it!
Hat
ps - I will write to Postwatch now as a disgruntled householder...
Monday 15 March 2004 6.46pm
I will contact the Southwark Council/Simon Hughes again to have their attention.
Monday 15 March 2004 7.25pm
Count me in to the media/authority onslaught, i`ll be writing off my letters, (joke!) e mail along with you all..........this needs to stop!

Jo
Monday 15 March 2004 10.33pm
A friend of mine who's also a business partner lives in SE1. We almost came to an argument as he was supposed to send a very important document through the post to our common partner a, Major Telecom Company.

Our partner company never received the document but my friend sworn to me that he did send the letter. I now really wonder how poor the postal service is in SE1? What a shame...

Francis

[inappropriate URL removed by JH]
Monday 15 March 2004 10.44pm
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a criminal aspect to this and there might indeed be a relation between the credit card fraud in SE1 and this.

It would be good if everyone reports theft or disappearance of valuable items to the Police and we should have an 'inventory' off all this to pass on to Hat for the letters.

I have contacted councillor Richard Porter and he will take action. I will keep you posted on this.
Tuesday 16 March 2004 2.52pm
My Mum recently sent a parcel from Hartlepool, to my Sister who lives just on the border of SE1 & SE17 at E & C. It didn't contain anything of value, but was packed full of magazine clippings, photocopies & fabric samples (she's getting married this summer) - it has never arrived. Looks like it could be spreading!
I live in SE1 & have had several 'interesting' looking items opened at the corners. But as yet - as far as I am aware, have not had anything stolen/intercepted up to now, seems I am one of the very few lucky ones.......

hat
Tuesday 16 March 2004 3.28pm
Maurits,

That sounds like a good idea. If everyone who's been affected emails me what has gone missing (both sent/not received post) and when that have happened I'll write up a letter (which I'll post on here for approval) and send it to Time Out, Watchdog, Evening Standard and LBC/BBC London News. If someone else keeps on with the local councillor harrassing, we should get somewhere... If people email me by the end of next week(the 26th), I can write the letters by the beginning of April. Does that suit people?

Hat
Tuesday 16 March 2004 4.07pm
OK, I will have a go at writing a press-release type doc which can be forwarded to the relevant contacts. The timing is right and we have soooo much evidence!

However I am not able to be a spokesperson for this. But we need at least one.

That person(s) needs to be contactable over the next few weeks (no trips abroad). Also, ideally they need to have been a media spokesperson before.

Any volunteers? (especially all those who have mentioned they would help on this)

And should we call ourselves a name? Then that person could be representing a group rather than an amorphous group of individuals.

SE1 Postal Campaign, anyone?
Tuesday 16 March 2004 4.18pm
Oh, looks like Hat beat me to it! So I will retract my offer to avoid confusion. Nice one, Hat.

Hat - the info is mostly on the site, and check the previous thread as well. It's all documented, the whole sorry tale, with some amazingly shocking details re missing cheques for thousands of pounds, impacts on local businesses, identity theft etc etc.

I believe Harriet collected other specific complaints which she gave to Simon Hughes (MP). Perhaps she can forward to you.
Tuesday 16 March 2004 6.21pm
Certainly did, and will be happy to forward those on, once I've contacted the senders and asked them to confirm they are happy for me to do so.

Hat, you should get hold of a copy of the letter that Simon Hughes sent all of us after our meeting, setting out the detail of the meeting he had had with Royal Mail. Can you receive .pdfs ? If so, I will hunt mine out and scan it in tomorrow.

I'm happy to help out in whatever way I can - especially looking at the draft press-release document (which I've seen a fair few of in my time).

Current: 9 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions