London SE1 community website

Which pub should I go to in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 5 March 2009 9.43pm
Hi all!

Im staying with my wife and her parents at the Hilton London Bridge for a couple of days in April. Now I wonder, which Pub do you recommend (close to the Hotel).
This is my second time in London and we are staying for three nights.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.21pm
The George without a doubt if you haven't been. Yes, I know it is expensive and there are a lot of tourists, but it is London's oldest coaching inn and Charles Dickens (in Little Dorrit if you want to impress the in-laws) wrote about, too. I find it never fails to entertain friends and family if they are over.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.24pm
Hi,

London Bridge is a great area for pubs.

In the immediate vicinity of your hotel I'd recommend the Market Porter (Stoney Street) and the Barrowboy and Banker (at the end of the bridge); a bit further afield (but still within easy walking distance) is the Royal Oak (Tabard Street) which also does huge portions of good hearty pub food.

If you are a real "beer geek" perhaps try the Rake in Borough Market.

There is loads of info on pubs if you do a search on this forum.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.24pm
Sorry about "Little Dorrit" being a link, I meant the book, not the pub or cafe here.
Thursday 5 March 2009 10.38pm
I'd agree with these choices, especially the Royal Oak and - for historical reasons - The George.
Friday 6 March 2009 6.46am
dont eat at the George
Friday 6 March 2009 7.09am
I'd recommend The Rose on Snowsfields - a lovely cosy little pub slightly off the beaten track.
jw
Friday 6 March 2009 8.12am
The Anchor just to be able to sit outside and watch the world and the river go by.

Or the Lord Clyde for a traditional boozer
Friday 6 March 2009 8.40am
If you do go to The George, show them dickens' insurance policy framed on the wall at the end of the bar.
Friday 6 March 2009 10.36am
if its sunny there's a great beer garden at The Woolpack on Bermondsey St
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions