London SE1 community website

Champor-Champor - Forget It!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 14 March 2002 1.20pm
I agree, well done Natalie, you've managed to do some very good PR for Champor-Champor - I want to go and try it out even more now!
Friday 15 March 2002 1.39pm
What can I say?
The place is absolutely great. Where else can you receive such a 5 star treatment?
The food is always excellent. The menu is a surprise itself. Where else can you taste such an amazing combination of flavours?
The wine list is well balanced with a choice for everyone. What about the indian champagne?
As for the decor, well if you Natalie are saying that the place looks like Camden Market style, I would suggest to have your eyes tested.
I am sure if you like "chains" (and this includes anything from Pizza Hut to Conran) and dislike "colours", "originality" and "details" then I agree...Champor Champor is definitely not your "place".
And you complain about the music.....have you ever heard of "atmosphere"?? I don't think so because I really think you are from a different planet.
Thanks for sharing your opinion with us...now let me go and book a table for me and my partner!
Sunday 17 March 2002 7.36pm
Itu kedai makaman champor-champor, kedai melayu-kah. Sebab makanan-makanan Melayu sedap-sedap! Dan juga saya suka kenal sebuah kedai jiran mana saya dan kawan-kawan saya boleh cacap Melayu. Itu penting saya ada peluang ubung bahasa sebab saya terlupa banyak.

OK just showing off. And proving that I have some interests beyond Archbishops Park, and discovering more about the mystery man James.

Perhaps I can have a 50% discount too? Incidently where is champor-champor. I have a very good Malaysian friend from my days in Kuala-Lumpur and we regularly go out to get our fix of rice and curry, and are on the lookout now the Thai Orchid in Westminster Bridge Road has shut.

Incidently one meaning of the campor-campor is 'constant change'. Appropriate for SE1.
Monday 18 March 2002 10.49am
OK - so, for those who want a translation, Sarah is basically asking if Champor-Champor is a Malay restaurant because she thinks Malay food is delicious. She is also hoping to find somwhere she can practise speaking the Malay language, because she has forgotten a lot of it.

Sarah, we are located at 62 Weston Street, just behind Guy's Hospital. We serve what we describe as 'creative Malay-Asian' food - not traditional Malay food. You can view our menus at www.champor-champor.com

'champor-champor' (or campur-campur, to use the modern Malay spelling) is a slangy expression meaning 'mix-mix' or, 'mix-and-match' to give it an English 'slangy' equivalent.

Equally appropriate for SE1, perhaps?
Monday 18 March 2002 3.05pm
hasn't anyone figured it out, charlie is natalie, great pr
Sherlock
Wednesday 20 March 2002 12.40pm

...and Einstein is Natalie on her last mission
Monday 25 March 2002 2.26pm
Well hello there everyone!

I think it only fair that Champor-Champor name a dish after me now. I'll obviously be guest of honour (shame I won't be taking them up on the complementary meal offer), and am also available to open and try out any new venues in the area!

My best regards to Charles and all his friends.

Natalie Einstein
jan
Monday 25 March 2002 3.30pm
your right Natalie, how about.......Nat - Nat, relatively speaking!
Friday 29 March 2002 2.36pm
well, I'm shocked! everyone getting on their high horses! were you all trying to get a freebie or something? Nat probaly did go over the top, but such a stream of abuse says more about the respondents than the original comment surely? suggesting that she's no better than someone living on the street at London Bridge Station - what! Champor has a great stall in Borough Market and they seem lovely people too - but I have to say that the restaurant is outside of our price bracket. We stopped by and looked at the menu but decided against. SE1 really needs some cheap, wholesome dining outlets but I guess with the rise and rise of the incoming 'luxury appartment' dweller there will be fewer and fewer affordable places for long-term residents, sadly.
Sunday 31 March 2002 2.13pm
Exactly. We are all hoping for a special SE1 dinner where all contributors will be invited. Natalie will be guest of honour - though with a special order of Big Mac and fries. Our chance to discover to actually meet these strange people who lurk in cyberspace.

As someone who has lived in the area for 10 years I do sympathise with Kate. Add the cost of babysitting and going out is expensive and mainly limited to birthdays and anniversaries. So I have never been to Champor-Champor. It is very strange to see an area change around you, and so fast. Though some of it is great, you feel a bit like an interloper in a different sort of world.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions