London SE1 community website

Anti-capitalism demo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 15
Thursday 9 April 2009 7.49pm
Short of a coup d'etat, the quickest way to a police state is the erosion of civil liberties through legislation.

Inevitably there are rogue elements in the UK police but, as far as I can see, the majority simply see it as their duty to act as ordered, subject to the law. The problem is that Labour legislation has eroded civil liberties to the extent that this in itself is a cause for concern.
Friday 10 April 2009 12.15pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
beetroot wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
At another demonstration, a policeman was seen helping a woman back onto a bike, but that was brushed under the carpet too. Tricky to get the Balance here, isn't it?

It doesn't matter how many good deeds are done. It doesn't make the bad behaviour any more acceptable.

This isn't aimed at you, Andy, but there are people that obviously can't accept the reality of the police for whatever reason and maybe more disturbingly, there are people who do accept it as long as its not aimed at them.

Yes Beetroot, but unlike yourself some people are merely arguing that there are more good apples in the barrel than there are bad ones!

I think the majority of police are stupid and scared. I think there's a minority of bad ones. Then there's a minority of good ones, which must be hell for them. The force as a whole is bad. Quite possibly the least bad in the world for all I know but bad all the same.
Wednesday 15 April 2009 7.55pm
Wednesday 15 April 2009 10.01pm
beetroot wrote:
jonnyp42 wrote:
beetroot wrote:
AndyABC wrote:
At another demonstration, a policeman was seen helping a woman back onto a bike, but that was brushed under the carpet too. Tricky to get the Balance here, isn't it?

It doesn't matter how many good deeds are done. It doesn't make the bad behaviour any more acceptable.

This isn't aimed at you, Andy, but there are people that obviously can't accept the reality of the police for whatever reason and maybe more disturbingly, there are people who do accept it as long as its not aimed at them.

Yes Beetroot, but unlike yourself some people are merely arguing that there are more good apples in the barrel than there are bad ones!

I think the majority of police are stupid and scared. I think there's a minority of bad ones. Then there's a minority of good ones, which must be hell for them. The force as a whole is bad. Quite possibly the least bad in the world for all I know but bad all the same.

You're like a broken record... One assumes your intrinsic dislike for the police is based on some sort of negative personal experience. Or do you have anarchist tendencies? How in your opinion might we reform this broken institution?
Thursday 16 April 2009 7.53am
I suppose the photo above is supposed to show police brutality - batons raised against a wall of cameras - so comment is superfluous. The Guardian has video footage of more police brutality here: http://tinyurl.com/aec9cs

What I see is intense provocation of the police by activists, stimulated by the prospect of propaganda footage. I'm not surprised individual police react with force to such in-your-face jostling, screaming, swearing and obstruction. Try treating the police like that in France or the USA and see what happens. This has little to do with freedom of speech and plenty to do with a political project.
Thursday 16 April 2009 8.35am
I think people often forget human nature, if I was a police officer/housewife/stall holder and someone whacked me/kneed me it's an instinctive response to clout them back.

and with all those cameras waiting to freeze on camera the police 'brutality' it's a shame no one shewed the other side.
It seemed to me that the protesters had more cameras than people at times.

The Police are no way perfect, but they are the ones every one calls when there is trouble, and what a job they have to face on the streets today. Not all of them have cushy office based jobs...
Thursday 16 April 2009 9.30am
The "majority stupid and scared"... the stupidity lies in the statement. faced with a rent a mob of mainly foreign anarchists what should the police do? let them go on the rampage smashing and vandalising?? unbelievable!
Thursday 16 April 2009 10.27am
Nicola Fisher the person who was hit by a police officer at a protest about the death of the gentleman who died at G20 Ian Tomlinson...

Apart from claiming compensation has also hired Max Clifford...publicist....is that a surprise..wants a 50,000 deal according to evening standard..

good result some might say for shouting and screaming at the law..for fifty grand I would not mind a whack or two!
Thursday 16 April 2009 12.22pm
Max L's picture shows a police medic -
'Got something for a headache Sarge? '
Thursday 16 April 2009 12.25pm
Banning the publication of pictures/film of police at work would stop all this media frenzy.
Current: 10 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions