London SE1 community website

Anti-capitalism demo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 15
Wednesday 8 April 2009 8.07pm
palerider wrote:
Other than those with a vested interest and the terminally deluded and gullible is there anyone with half a brain that doesn't recognise that we are living in a police state where the police are inevitably a bunch of thugs?
Better disguise your IP address as well as your name before they haul you away. Or is it the kind of police state where there's the freedom to say what you say without repercussion? That's the worst kind. It deludes the gullible into thinking they don't live in a police state. Cor blimey, it's all so complicated.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 9.19pm
Can we please put away our legal textbooks (yes, I have some too) and conspiracy theories, and wait for the people with access to all the evidence to get back to us on this? It is very upsetting in a lot of ways, not least of all for this poor man's family, but it's a bit premature to start using all this for projecting personal gripes onto the police.
Zoe
Wednesday 8 April 2009 9.50pm
I really don't think I am being uncivil, but clearly I can't have a discussion with you without being abused, so I won't comment again.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.15pm
Zoe wrote:
I really don't think I am being uncivil, but clearly I can't have a discussion with you without being abused, so I won't comment again.
A bald and unprovoked "What nonsense are you talking about?" is not a discussion and refutation is not abuse.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.31pm
At one of the previous any-capitalist demonstrations a policeman was seen pushing a women off a bike for no reason, but because she didn't die ,it was just brushed under the carpet.
Thursday 9 April 2009 7.55am
At another demonstration, a policeman was seen helping a woman back onto a bike, but that was brushed under the carpet too. Tricky to get the Balance here, isn't it?
Thursday 9 April 2009 8.05am
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/09/g20-police-assault-ian-tomlinson-g201
This is not unlike my recent brush with the law (Police Bashing on this forum).
I really think that there is something seriously wrong in the Police "service"
Thursday 9 April 2009 8.11am
I should apologise, of course we don't live in a police state - it's only in police states that the police raid the offices of opposition politicians, beat up demonstrators, and gun people down on the streets with impunity. It's only in police states that your every move from birth to death is tracked by government databases, that your listed as a suspect on police records and your DNA stored even if you've committed no crime, that you can be locked or have your liberty curtailed without a trial, or that trials are held in secret. Of course none of these things would ever happen here.
Thursday 9 April 2009 8.43am
AndyABC wrote:
At another demonstration, a policeman was seen helping a woman back onto a bike, but that was brushed under the carpet too. Tricky to get the Balance here, isn't it?

It doesn't matter how many good deeds are done. It doesn't make the bad behaviour any more acceptable.

This isn't aimed at you, Andy, but there are people that obviously can't accept the reality of the police for whatever reason and maybe more disturbingly, there are people who do accept it as long as its not aimed at them.
Current: 8 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions