London SE1 community website

Possible new cladding for Guy's Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 22 April 2009 8.40am
It would be interesting to see an Energy Performance Certificate and detailed energy efficiency report for the building. If the building is extremely inefficient, it may be that a huge amount of money is currently being wasted on heating that could be spent on equipment and personnel.
Wednesday 22 April 2009 9.49am
Lets face it - its really ugly - and really big. Best solution : demolition and relocation of the hospital to a more convenient site within the borough making it more accessible to Southwark residents, sale of existing land at huge profit to developer, using cash to fund new hospital. Hurrah!
Wednesday 22 April 2009 4.37pm
that new nastiness at vauxhall is actually the regularly voted ugliest building - guys isn't a palace but its far from offensive
Thursday 23 April 2009 9.14am
Would not cladding hide any developing structural faults in the tower? or even create some by not allowing the materials used to breathe?

Money should be used to improve health care of the patients , not the visual impact of the building. Pity they tore down the old beautiful part of Guys, in particular the wing where the maternity wards were..Victoria..1 and 2 if my memory serves me right..

Old building, fires in the wards,rubber gloves,steel bedpans,autoclaves,glass thermometers, nurses who rustled when they walked, lovely clean smell of disinfectant, green marble composite flooring,central sterilising stores.. and here I go off again...But no M.R.S.A
Jac
Thursday 23 April 2009 10.23am
smartazz wrote:
Lets face it - its really ugly - and really big. Best solution : demolition and relocation of the hospital to a more convenient site within the borough making it more accessible to Southwark residents, sale of existing land at huge profit to developer, using cash to fund new hospital. Hurrah!

Surely you cant get any where more accessible than London Bridge which is well served with trains, underground and buses. Compare to going to kings in Denmark Hill which takes forever on the bus from SE1. And if you are traveling from kent (an area that Kings serves) to Kings then even a simple out patients appointment takes a whole day .

But thats rather off the topic of cladding. I dont kind the current building that offensive but maybe thats because i am used to it, but it certainly could be improved. What i find most irritating about the tower is the noise pollution with the constant humming form the air conditioning units etc. It would drive me mad if i lived close enough to hear that all the time
Saturday 18 June 2011 4.20am
'New cladding for Guy's gets green light'

Too bad. I like it more and more as The Shard goes up. After all erections have consequences.

I'm not sure if the architect was Erno Goldfinger or 'school of Goldfinger', but it adds to the patina of Guy's Tower that Ian Fleming named his villain Auric Goldfinger after his Hampstead neighbour who planned a modernist house there which Fleming disliked - that's 2 WillowWalk, now under the National Trust. When Erno sued, Fleming threatened to change the villain's name to Goldprick. Now you know.

I like this comment at skyscrapercity:
Quote:
Is it not the same as the Gateshead Carpark up here? All the brutalist-lovers and Get Carter fans LOVE it...

Saturday 18 June 2011 7.14am
I look forward to the new cladding as it will improve the view from the south tidying up missing concrete and discoloured chimney area.
Took this last week:
Sunday 19 June 2011 6.17am
No cosmetic surgery on the NHS!

Sunday 19 June 2011 10.29am
Make brutalism concrete!

Wednesday 22 June 2011 11.43am
Has the clean-up begun?
Just been reading up on when to use a hyphen as in reclad or re-clad, still none the wiser.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions