London SE1 community website

Possible new cladding for Guy's Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 22 June 2011 11.44am
Settled for 'reclad but prepared to be corrected.

They appear to be putting protective covering on the windows.
Wednesday 22 June 2011 1.57pm
The exterior of Guy's,and the height,make for a very dispiriting experience when arriving for surgery, or even visiting.

Wherever possible, I crop it off any photos I take of the Shard.
Wednesday 22 June 2011 6.01pm
Those wavey bits of cladding near the entrance play havoc with my eyes, and when walking in through the revolving doors looking at the stripes on the floor makes me feel sick..always moaning about that bit!
Saturday 25 June 2011 12.44pm
Jan, I agree with you. And the new entrance doors are used in most hospitals now and so damned slow. I suppose it is to 'stagger' the crowds.....hm.
Wednesday 7 November 2012 3.15pm
South side nearly ready for panels. Took a chance and downloaded Picasa to windows 8 and it works fine.

Guy's south side
Wednesday 7 November 2012 10.57pm
The picture seems to suggest the damage to the concrete was very localised to a single wall - were the boiler house flues built into that bit of wall resulting in a massive temperature difference between freezing external air and hot waste gases being expelled?
Thursday 8 November 2012 10.40am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
The picture seems to suggest the damage to the concrete was very localised to a single wall - were the boiler house flues built into that bit of wall resulting in a massive temperature difference between freezing external air and hot waste gases being expelled?

That sounds very plausible. I always thought the damage was caused by abseilers but temperature fluctuations seems more likely. Lots of minor concrete damage on all sides but the extensive concrete loss is directly below the chimneys on the SW side supporting your theory.
Thursday 8 November 2012 10.49am
I was looking for this thread the other day; as Carsten Nicolai exhibits a new piece of work in Italy I was wondering if anyone knew whether his light/audio display is still planned as a part of the refurbishment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Q09dJsVcI&feature=related
Sunday 30 December 2012 10.41am
Cladding progress. Work will restart on Wednesday 2 January. Lovely morning

Guy's hospital south side progress
Thursday 7 February 2013 12.33pm
Someone suggested a climbing wall would be a great idea on Guy's as abseiling probably won't be allowed on the new cladding.

Insulation panels being added
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions