London SE1 community website

Astronauts names on trees in Kennington Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 29 August 2012 2.24pm
David Williams has got back. He's read the thread. He asks what type of trees they are. Anyone know?

Sorry, Lang Rabbie. Just seen your post. I've emailed him.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 2.37pm
He's got back already. He says one of the pictures on Smoke looks like Sycamore bark. He says 'The Moon Trees were sycamores, loblolly pines, sweetgums, redwoods and douglas firs.' I think he might want a definite identification, and if he gets one he might register the trees on his site.
Lang Rabbie, could you identify them for sure?
Wednesday 29 August 2012 3.13pm
I would suggest you get in touch with Iain Boulton at Lambeth Parks department who as a professional ecologist would be better placed than me to say for sure that they aren't "common or garden" London Planes.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 4.03pm
Thanks Lang Rabbie. I've emailed Iain about the goings on...
Hopefully this will lead to a definite identification. Guess it'll take some time though.
Wednesday 29 August 2012 4.29pm
Luise Rayner only counted sixteen tags in this Blogpost from May - One small step along Kennington Road.

I think this is just that Luise missed Frank Borman's tree, and not that the tree/plaque is lost, as there appears to be a more recent photo of this tree on Flickr

However, this July Flickr set only has sixteen photos, implying that the photographer "The Quiet Busker" couldn't find one of them (Alfred M Worden by my quick comparison).

This tree-spotting is harder work than I thought!
Thursday 30 August 2012 8.13am
Beetroot i'm sure they planted 4 types of tree and because of different climates they type of tree was sent to a climate that suited it, the trees they used were, Lobiolly pine, Sycamore, Redwood, and Douglas fir, I also think there are some in Italy but I'm not 100% sure.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions