London SE1 community website

Disused petrol Station on Grange Road & "The Grange" public

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 2 February 2004 4.41pm
LOVE jellied eels - nothing quite like them for getting a feel for local colour. Also think greyhound racing is a marvellous sport, have recently been tempted (tho' have so far resisted) to invest in a dog. Now, if there were a track at the Bricklayers...

I don't think I would like hot jellied eels though - is this a speciality of Ivanhoe?

But we would need a better class of person than the locals can provide, hence the requirement for the New Bermondsey People. (TFIC)
Monday 2 February 2004 5.58pm
I'm with Ivanhoe on this (except for hot jellied eels - yeeuch).

Is it safe to believe Mapmaker when he claims the TFIC getout?

Indeed, given some recent postings by others, is this actually the electronic equivalent of a masonic handshake to lurkers out there who will understand it as a reference to "people like us" in The Federation of Image Consultants !

God forbid that Manze's at 87 Tower Bridge Road should suffer the same fate as the Quality Chop House, the "Progressive Working Class Caterer" on Farringdon Road and be "reinvented" with a 30 per head menu.

Direct action is called for - get down to Manze's and support the longest established fast food enterprise in the area.

[NB: Opening hours are a bit erratic:
MONDAY - 11.00 am till 2.00 pm
TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY - 10.30 am till 2.00 pm
FRIDAY - 10.00 am till 2.15 pm
SATURDAY - 10.00 am till 2.45 pm]

Post edited (08 Feb 04 19:45)
Monday 2 February 2004 7.57pm
aren't Jellied eels just stewed eels that have gone cold?
Monday 2 February 2004 9.06pm
Going back to the original questions - I heard that flats were also planned for the remaining garage site on the south side of Grange Rd, though nothing much has happened yet. The 'Savilles' sign has been there, opposite Alaska, for about 2 years with nothing much happening either so don't hold your breath ..... We went to 'The Grange' once, never again - a very awful karaoke was going on and we came out feeling like we had smoked a couple of packets of cigarettes each in the hour we were there .... there are much better pubs around the area, depending on what you like.

Southerngirl (still haven't sorted out my own password for this site !)
Tuesday 3 February 2004 8.09am
There does seem to be a bit of moverment on grange road- impressive new medical centre opp the grange, redevelopment of spa park, new flagship southwark office on spa road, new housing near church at end of spa road (paqrt of plans to make tube more accessible), flats opposite alaska. My prediction is that the huge storage place next to alaska (old vinegar factory) will be ripe for conversion soonish. i think all this is all a good thing...
Tuesday 3 February 2004 2.07pm
There is also something going on with the pub on the corner of Neckinger and Abbey Street. I do hope that it will remain a pub and not a new set of flats.

I am very encouraged by the new developments happening around Spa Road. As Bart states, there is going to be new housing and even a leisure centre (if I recall correctly) by the church. I think it's about time, as that plot has been left empty for years now.
Wednesday 4 February 2004 12.04pm
Dress gives one the outward sign from which people in general can, and often do, judge upon the inward state of mind and feelings."
-- H.M. The Queen - Love it, Lang Rabbie, thanks!

'leisure centre (if I recall correctly) by the church.' St James'?

Vinegar factory - is that the large warehouses between the Alaska and Crimscott St owned by Rich? There seems to be a coffee grinder there at the moment, as the smell of freshly ground coffee sometimes drifts over.

There was movement behind the hoardings with the Saville's sign last week - all sorts of Bob the Builder type machinery which levelled the ground and then went away again. I'd say the Saville's sign has only been there between 12 and 18 months.

Wish list for Grange Road:

1. Those two tumbledown pretty Victorian houses next to BEW electrical to be resurrected.

2. The printers opposite Crimscott St in the single storey 60's building to be knocked down and posh flats put up.

3. Something to happen to the ex-petrol station.

I presume that the petrol station was a bomb site, likewise the ex-petrol station that is turning into a block of flats. I know Grange Road suffered quite badly.
Sunday 8 February 2004 4.19am
Mapmaker - "Never judge a book by it's cover!" But agree with your points 1, 2, & 3 for Grange Rd. Shame those lovely houses (1) are going to rack & ruin (bedsits?).

The Grange is a decent local pub with "real" people (hence the awful karaoke - but it's only 1 Friday a month! - & O.K. if you get pissed/get earplugs & join in). The food there is good & v. cheap & they know how to throw a party! Was at the Grange for New Year's Eve & had a great time. (Free admission, free Champagne at midnight, party hats, streamers etc.) They also do decent, clean B&B which is very handy when you have visiting relatives & a small flat like me! It's not actually my local, but my best friend's, who lives on Grange Rd, but I've been loads of times. Just take the trouble to get to know the regulars & bar staff and you're away.

Moved here myself from Clapham Common 12 years ago, but definitely don't have a square jaw! Not sure about the hair tho, maybe a bit floppy!*!*

There is no such thing as an Athiest on a Battlefied ... Anon
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions