London SE1 community website

Repainting the railway bridge over Southwark Bridge Rd/Borough Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 14 April 2009 11.59am
I rather like it!
Tuesday 14 April 2009 7.46pm
williamn wrote:
I rather like it!

So do I. I expect the colour distinction was required by some heritage body on the grounds that they prefer it to be obvious that some later repair/change has been made.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 9.10pm
Unfortunately my pics tend to make it look quite nice due to the way the light catches the shadows of the rivets but in truth it is a bit of a mismatch of colour. The Royal Green(?) in itself isn't bad if a tad too dark and the blue grey of certain parts of supporting beam work is reasonable, however the white-ish tint sections in no way compliment either and certainly just look plain wrong where the plating follows in a strip across the front section of the bridge and yet it effectively dominates despite being the least interesting part of the bridge historically. The gold bolts underneath look to be a late intervention rather than part of a coordinated scheme.

To my eye the whitish sections look like an undercoat and will weather badly I'd have thought.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 9.50pm
Tolstoy wrote:
To my eye the whitish sections look like an undercoat and will weather badly I'd have thought.

I think they can only get access to the bits of the structure "over the tracks" at weekends when the Thameslink service is suspended. So it could be a little while before we see the finished result.
Tuesday 14 April 2009 11.54pm
I saw it for real at the weekend and still liked it. I'd never appreciated before how one bridge was bolted onto another to strengthen it - so found it both asthetically pleasing and interesting too!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions