London SE1 community website

Tabard Street Development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 2 April 2002 5.47pm
Andrew - why is a supermarket in Tabard Street 'a money grabbing idea' but new appartment buildings in the same area apparently aren't? I'm all for a supermarket - it would actually be a tangible result for the local community, as opposed to all the hype we are constantly fed by those in favour of the Shard.

I would dearly love to see new buildings of the same height as the existing ones too - but it seems that bigger is better.
Hey ho!
Tuesday 2 April 2002 5.58pm
Joanna - don't quite know what you're replying to me about, is it London Bridge Tower or Tabard Street Development? Either way I do try to reply based on the topic of the thread and talk about the community in general, from my perspective as a long-term resident of Borough.

In Borough there are many new and very tall appartment blocks which have taken away open spaces, block out light and create extra noise and traffic pollution. So those are the facts - although everyone's opinion about them is of course purely subjective.

So I'll get my facts right about Borough - and not comment on Bermondsey as I don't live there - if you'll kindly read the posting before making personal comments.

Thanks!
J
Tuesday 2 April 2002 6.45pm
As a \"newbie\" resident I thank you for highlighting the Bermondsey Borough border. I will get on to Ordnance Survey immediately - maybe we could have a line where tourists can put one foot on each side? Rest assured I\'m hanging my head in shame until I can say I have lived here for at least three years and I would be grateful if everyone would tolerate me until such time.

I too live in a former industrial building and would be interested in any photos you have amassed showing Bermondsey Street or Borough High Street (AKA the new Manhattan) as a field.

Opposing the increasing density of housing, traffic and pollution in central London, which is where we all are, is somewhat ambitious.

Maybe its time to move on Kate...
Joanna
Wednesday 3 April 2002 10.18am
I have pictures showing Bermondsey as fields - it was about the time of the romans. Borough didn't exist then.
Joanna
Wednesday 3 April 2002 10.44am
Actually, "fields" isn't really the right description - it was marshland.

I've also got photos of lots of open spaces in SE1 - after the blitz.
Joanna
Wednesday 3 April 2002 1.28pm
Kate - I wasn't making a personal comment - merely correcting the incorrect statement you made in your post.
Thursday 4 April 2002 12.41am
J - I\\\'ve got lots of photos of open spaces in Borough too - taken from the fourth floor window (of a really old building)within the last 3 years, hardly Roman times! I don\\\'t think I referred to these as fields - just open, green parks. I\\\'ve so far only talked about Borough and there\\\'s nothing incorrect in my post.

But I thought this thread was about Tabard Street developments and a possible supermarket? Did I click the wrong header?

And I thought I said I was moving on too - I just can\\\'t stay away can I?!
Thursday 4 April 2002 1.35pm
Hi kateEkaos,

I did not say that I was in favour of appartment buildings being developed.

We should have local shops providing for local people keeping the money in the area.

Please, everyone read 'Captive State' by George Monbiot'. check out its reviews on amazon for more info. There is a good chapter on supermarkets.

Peace
J
Sunday 7 April 2002 8.21pm
Kate
You make patronising remarks about new residents and then get all upset about supposed personal comments about you! Don't dish it if you can't take it.

In case you hadn't realised everyone moves into buildings where there existed former green spaces at one time, Bermondsey doesn't have a monopoly in this regard.

What you really need is a time machine...

Going back to the supermarket issue, MoreLondon seems a better location because its surrounded mainly by offices and proper access and carparking will be available. Trucks delivering at night would create limited disturbance.
Monday 8 April 2002 12.13am
terribly sorry old chap - don't think i've actually commented on Bermondsey though!
i'm interested in being challenged, not slagged off
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions