London SE1 community website

New Outdoor Cafe by Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 30 April 2009 3.10pm
Frankly, I am not opposed to the development. At the very least, it has given a facelift to what used to be a rather grotty patch at an otherwise beautiful spot. The riverfront is still accessible via a "corridor" from the street along the west wall of the Butler's Wharf building. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the seating area - along with Tower Bridge, of course - belongs to the City of London, not the Borough of Southwark.
Thursday 30 April 2009 3.57pm
John_George wrote:
it has given a facelift to what used to be a rather grotty patch at an otherwise beautiful spot. The riverfront is still accessible via a "corridor" from the street along the west wall of the Butler's Wharf building. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the seating area - along with Tower Bridge, of course - belongs to the City of London, not the Borough of Southwark.
Good point, maybe it is the City. Southwark collect the garbage, usually. It's still strange to me that beggars are tolerated at the foot of the world's most famous bridge. Maybe a well-run business there will change that, tho Pont de la Tour has a rotating crew of beggars by their entrance. Only in Britain.
Thursday 30 April 2009 5.15pm
I always have a bit of a smile about the name. As well as its English meaning for a superlative, "Most" is a balkan word for "bridge" (eg Slovenian, Serbian and Croatian).

Nice wordplay.
Thursday 30 April 2009 8.42pm
The friendly owner's wife is Russian.
Saturday 2 May 2009 1.42pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I always have a bit of a smile about the name. As well as its English meaning for a superlative, "Most" is a balkan word for "bridge" (eg Slovenian, Serbian and Croatian).
Nice wordplay.

Love it
& Im told its pronounced more like "mossed" rather than "moast"

& love all the quotes etched on the glass, my favourite is Winnies
Saturday 2 May 2009 1.46pm
markadams99 wrote:
It's still strange to me that beggars are tolerated at the foot of the world's most famous bridge. Maybe a well-run business there will change that, tho Pont de la Tour has a rotating crew of beggars by their entrance. Only in Britain.

Au contraire, also in San Francisco.

I saw them putting up the planters awhile back and wondered what they were for. Agree that it was rather grotty before.
Saturday 2 May 2009 9.19pm
Laphroaig wrote:
markadams99 wrote:
It's still strange to me that beggars are tolerated at the foot of the world's most famous bridge. Maybe a well-run business there will change that, tho Pont de la Tour has a rotating crew of beggars by their entrance. Only in Britain.

Au contraire, also in San Francisco.

You're right in that I see career begging in SF and eg Portland Oregon and a number of other left-run cities in the US, but I don't recall beggars at the Golden Gate Bridge in SF or the Brooklyn Bridge to make the comparison with Tower Bridge. Correct me if that's wrong. Most countries round the world take pride in their symbols and are ashamed to present beggars to guests from overseas who come to see world-class sites. Britain not.
Saturday 2 May 2009 9.42pm
I'm guessing this sort of thing doesn't happen in a 'right'-run city, eh Mark?
Zoe
Saturday 2 May 2009 10.21pm
The issue of people beggging there, the market and Clink Street came up at the community council last week.

Apparently the police and wardens are taking action on it, but it seems to be one of those things that's challenging to deal with.
Sunday 3 May 2009 1.24pm
Here we go again, I am sure not all beggars are after our money to feed their drug/ alcohol addiction. People end up on the streets for many reasons, please do not condemn them all full stop.
We've just returned from a first visit to Nice and surprised to see in an area associated with a more affluent environment, rough sleepers in the door ways at night and a number of beggars in the streets.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions