London SE1 community website

Crime and Theft - Gang related activity

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Thursday 7 May 2009 12.01pm
I rang the number as instructed by Spacemaker and spoke to a pleasant PC Support Officer who tried hard to be helpful but couldn't understand me as it was a bad signal on his mobile phone and it didn't sound as tho English were his first language. I don't mean that as a slight, since immigrants are often less de-moralised than the natives. I don't think he understands yet why I was calling.

My bias from this and other interactions with the police are that it is a gigantic, process-driven organization, concerned with giving bureaucratically defensible responses to the public. Where at all possible the operational side of the organization is shielded from the public. Individual initiative by an officer would be much harder to defend than inertia and I bet there are many, many frustrated would-be good cops hemmed in by process and the social engineering agenda that takes precedence.
Thursday 7 May 2009 12.23pm
markadams99 wrote:
.. the police are ... a gigantic, process-driven organization, concerned with giving bureaucratically defensible responses to the public. Where at all possible the operational side of the organization is shielded from the public...

Well, I guess that's the result of interference from the government who are more interested in style than substance, and have imposed KPIs to make policing more accountable. They have done the same to schools.
Thursday 7 May 2009 6.06pm
Respect your comments mark and possel but if we are trying to remedy a specific issue here and maybe raise others then we need to engage with the resource available to us and try and work out a solution.

Like I said, there's a meeting coming up in June when there'll be an opportunity to talk directly to the blokes doing the job in our area. They are making themselves available so if there is a genuine interest, turn up and talk to them. If no one turns up they'll carry on listening to others or setting the agenda as they see fit.
Thursday 7 May 2009 7.58pm
Spacemaker, all power to your elbow for foot patrols, day and night. That said, I think a phone report, a follow-up today + an offer to meet the PCSO personally at Tower Bridge if he couldn't understand me is to 'engage'. Witness the Weston Street assault:
James Hatts wrote:
Scotland Yard press bureau couldn't find any record of the incident on their system, and Southwark borough police never return my phone calls or emails.
Past incidents bear out that there's a structural problem which is political. The police are an institution which has been captured by authoritarian social liberals. Social engineering and faux management science trump conventional policing.
Thursday 7 May 2009 11.37pm
OK OK mark I do empathise. I've had some bad experiences personally over the years and witnessed others too but what's the practical solution here? Start a campaign to bring about a massive change some time off in the future, work with what we have or give up and let the scumbags do as they please?
Friday 8 May 2009 4.13am
We're not arguing, Space, but if you pay me half-a-crown, I can dispute with you. Well done!
Friday 8 May 2009 8.47pm
Delly wrote:

Hope you get it all sorted soon and if I spot one whilst Im down here at the weekend I will knock them off their bike.

Best of luck Delly, but if you do, 5 will get you 10 that plod will be there and charging you with threatening behaviour before the miscreant hits the ground.
Saturday 9 May 2009 9.09am
Moan, moan, moan... Markadams99 -- I suggest you email the Safer Neighbourhoods team via the Met website.

http://www.met.police.uk/teams/southwark/riverside/

I've had contact with the Sergeant and found him to be very helpful.
Saturday 9 May 2009 10.15am
jonnyp42 wrote:
Moan, moan, moan... Markadams99 -- I suggest you email the Safer Neighbourhoods team via the Met website.

I've had contact with the Sergeant and found him to be very helpful.
Why? I've reported to the police, I've reported to the Riverside something or other, now you want me to report to someone else. Anyone else after that? This religion of process is a bug not a feature. How many teams are there? I don't want teams I want a police force that does policing. i realise you are being helpful, so thankyou, but you might take on board that the problem is deeper than getting attention paid to a particular incident. The police force is institutionally processist, institutionally PC and institutionally unfit for purpose despite employing plenty of fine people.
Saturday 9 May 2009 12.53pm
[quote markadams99][quote jonnyp42]Moan, moan, moan... Markadams99 -- I suggest you email the Safer Neighbourhoods team via the Met website.

Why? The police force is institutionally processist, institutionally PC and institutionally unfit for purpose despite employing plenty of fine people.[/quote]

That is about as succinct as you can get, I think that it would be extremely difficult to argue with that statement, particularly the unfit part.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions