London SE1 community website

Crime and Theft - Gang related activity

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Saturday 9 May 2009 3.13pm
markadams99 wrote:
jonnyp42 wrote:
Moan, moan, moan... Markadams99 -- I suggest you email the Safer Neighbourhoods team via the Met website.
http://www.met.police.uk/teams/southwark/riverside/

I've had contact with the Sergeant and found him to be very helpful.
Why? I've reported to the police, I've reported to the Riverside something or other, now you want me to report to someone else. Anyone else after that? This religion of process is a bug not a feature. How many teams are there? I don't want teams I want a police force that does policing. i realise you are being helpful, so thankyou, but you might take on board that the problem is deeper than getting attention paid to a particular incident. The police force is institutionally processist, institutionally PC and institutionally unfit for purpose despite employing plenty of fine people.

Given your negative and unproductive attitude, I'm not surprised you're disappointed.

Your cynicism is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Wednesday 13 May 2009 11.45pm
Ah well, no good deed will go unpunished, especially if bureaucratic prerogatives are at stake.

Right now it's 11.30pm. An alarm's been dinging away for an hour near Tower Bridge. The police say their policy is not to investigate unless there's signs of a break-in. Southwark Noise Team won't investigate unless I let them into my flat to witness themselves that they can hear the alarm in my bedroom. All they need to do is go to Tower Bridge and hear for themselves. I don't want them in my bedroom in the middle of the night. So nothing will be done. There seems to be a bureaucratic madness afflicting everyday life in the UK. Very expensive too.
Thursday 14 May 2009 12.03am
I must add that the alarm's just stopped and the Southwark Noise Team guy, Alex, just called me from outside the offending building to say he fully understood my point but had to follow policy on the phone. So kudos to Alex. Thanks. And i want to add that Alex has an African accent, since I so often find that it's African and E. European immigrants who have a humanistic approach to daily life compared to the more process-cowed natives.
Friday 15 May 2009 11.48pm
The Black gang of teenagers on bicycles sounds familiar to the one i have seen before operating along Jamaica road bag/laptop snatching. They like to operate around the bus stops along Jamaica road, basically they wait for a bus to stop and some passengers get off and if someone has a badly secured looking bag which is usual as you get off a bus they cycle up at speed and rip it away from them. Their favourite haunt is the stop opposite mill street/dockhead beside Sweeney crescent as they can cycle off and disappear into the Arnold estate. When active its usually the evening there busy 6-8pm.
Saturday 16 May 2009 12.31am
There is also a resident gang on the Arnold estate predominantly white with a couple of mixed race and all are teens, total can number around a dozen, their involved in borrowing bicycles, scooters, vandalism etc and all love the hooded look and can often be seen riding the latest model of thousand pound bicycle. There headquarters if you can call it that is just behind the bar that used to be called lazy now called nine. That part of the Arnold estate looks like a cross between Beirut and Belfast in the bad old days, there is a block of flats there where the entire ground floor has been pretty much abandoned after years of vandalism and repeated fire bombings. Opposite this inner city must see landmark is a row of houses and this is mission control area for the Arnold estate gang, these are the only houses on the entire Arnold estate. Late evening after a tough day at the coalface these fine up standing young citizens can often be found holding court outside Ronnie's Supermarket on Tanner street.
Saturday 16 May 2009 6.23am
Sounds like 'The Pit'. Now where's Omar Little when you need him?
Tuesday 19 May 2009 7.20pm
That bit of the Arnold is called Phoenix Wharf, but we like to call it "Hamsterdam". It is owned by a Housing Assoc rather than Southwark Council that seems to be boarding up the flats as they fall empty, but we cannot get any answer as to what the future plans are (we've tried writing to Southwark Council & Nick Stanton). It is a blot, and a meeting point for dubious activity, partly because it has no parking restrictions so becomes a place for untaxed cars to stay, but also as I guess an apparently derelict/empty building is just too much of a magnet for some. However,I don't want to generalise - there are good people in Phoenix Wharf and on the Arnold, and teenagers sometimes just want a place to hang out and this is a central point. There is rarely any real trouble though, having said that, last night there was a large group of young men wielding sticks and chanting as they roamed through the estate, I think, searching for some poor person.If anybody does know what is the plans are for Phoenix Wharf, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.
Tuesday 19 May 2009 7.44pm
eyespy wrote:
There is also a resident gang on the Arnold estate predominantly white with a couple of mixed race and all are teens, total can number around a dozen, their involved in borrowing bicycles, scooters, vandalism etc and all love the hooded look and can often be seen riding the latest model of thousand pound bicycle...

Just an FYI - We have had a spate of bike theft over here on Alscot Road. Young guys, white, 15-16, hoodies... The usual story... They were super-fast - on Sunday afternoon, my neighbour left his unlocked bike in our fully enclosed, private courtyard, popped up to his flat on the 1st floor to pick up his baby to put in the baby seat and when he came back 4 minutes later his bike was disappearing over the back fence (baby seat and all!) He didn't manage to find them after having to drop the baby back unfortunately but they apparently disappeared into the Estate on Dunton Road... This is about the 3rd or 4th bike out of our courtyard in as many weeks. There's almost no point in reporting it to the police, they don't do anything. It's been suggested that we rather head to Brick Lane this weekend to check out if they're for sale there on Sat/ Sun. It's almost easier to find your bike and then call the police!!
Wednesday 20 May 2009 8.10am
If I had a bike I'd take the saddle off, then see how fast the bleeders go..
Wednesday 20 May 2009 10.22am
Gwynaethva wrote:
It's been suggested that we rather head to Brick Lane this weekend to check out if they're for sale there on Sat/ Sun. It's almost easier to find your bike and then call the police!!

It's worth a trip to Brick Lane to see the blatant fencing that goes on there, though it may make your blood boil. Entire bikes, wheels, boxes of assorted bike lights (how could they not be stolen goods?), spare parts which have been removed from those bikes which are left clinging to railings, picked clean of all but the frame...

However, I had a bike stolen a few years ago by some youths on the Neckinger estate. I asked the policeman whether he thought the bike was likely to turn up in Brick Lane. "No", he said. "That would mean these lads crossing roads and rivers, and they don't really do that."

Or you could try Gumtree. Stolen bikes often turn up there, sometimes within minutes of being nicked. But be careful.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions