London SE1 community website

Crime and Theft - Gang related activity

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Monday 8 June 2009 4.24pm
Yep - i've seen them, they'd stashed their bikes behind Tamarind Court near the inner car park in the Tamarind quad. They scarpered when I walked up to them. They're all about 15 with a minder who's in his early 20s - modern day pimp. You need to watch it if you challenge them - they'd be easy enough to flatten but you don't know what Huggy Bear has up his sleeve.
KP
Thursday 11 June 2009 7.50am
This is not just confined to the police, it is a growing culture across the public sector, and we are all the worse for it. It seems that ways of working are polarised either in maverick, high risk, intuitive practices or "dont think just follow the procedure", whereas surely a mix of process to remove drudgery and maintain standards, and intuition/judgement/thinking to raise standards and provide a real service would provide the best value for money. Its all about leadership!
Thursday 11 June 2009 10.37pm
I scared off some kids just yesterday, 6 of them with hoods pulled up scouting bikes round the back of Village East. Took some pics and waved at them from my window - they ran off pretty quick. little bastards.
Wednesday 17 October 2012 3.27pm
Gang of four kids broke in via Bickels Yard (opposite White Cube gallery) and tried to nick a neighbour's car last night about 1.30am. Unfortunately for them I was working late. Well i had been. Woke up to see what the noise was, saw them, went a bit mental with the shouting and shocked they ran off well sharpish. Ended up recovering one of the gang's Blackberry which one of them dropped and a bike (which may have been nicked). Police turned up and we actually ended up catching two of the gang. All went a bit 'The Bill'.

Anyway (a) the presence of a 24 hour semi-asleep security guard directly opposite the flats at White Cube obviously does nothing (b) if you've had a bike nicked that evening contact the police. Dunno what will happen with the gang. Very pleasing to actually catch someone in the act and get some tasty evidence but a shame they are doing that kinda crap in the first place.

If you have any related evidence from the evening post here or contact local station... There might be other stuff that happened that evening..

Ta
Wednesday 17 October 2012 4.14pm
Hi runningman

I'm a freelance journalist looking into gang culture in Southwark. Could I chat to you about what happened last night? Quite a story..

Many thanks
Wednesday 17 October 2012 5.18pm
I called 101 (non-emergency police) last night to report three hooded youths walking down (north to south) Morocco st. and sniffing out cars and ground floor flats as they went. Don't know if police caught or questioned them.
Wednesday 17 October 2012 7.15pm
a big thanks to everyone who is bothering to take an interest & Mark A for going the extra mile. A tip, if you see a crime in progress, get out you phone, yell " oy you " & give the impression of, if not actually calling the Police before confronting. If not v. confident ( & do not be over confident ) confront from about 3 meters away & ensure you have an exit route - just in case. Just seen the date on previous posts, not sure why this is a live one again ??
Wednesday 17 October 2012 7.21pm
ok, just realised there were a few more pages bringing the thread up to date. Had my mountain bike nicked recently. Kept an eye on gumtree, etc, there it was for sale 3 days later. Arranged to meet the thieving toerag ( busy place, friends nearby in case ), soon as sat on bike let him know it was mine, toerag eventually persuaded to bugger off, bike mine again. Called Police, they got back to me 3 weeks later...
Wednesday 17 October 2012 11.47pm
I walked up Jamaica Road from the Rotherhithe Tunnel end one afternoon last week, with the intention of picking up an Evening Standard at Bermondsey station.
As I got almost opposite the Post Office I heard a woman's raised voice and looked up from my reverie to see 3, maybe 4, quite young boys running ahead of me and turning into Cherry Garden Street.
They made Usain Bolt look like an amateur.
It then registered that the woman was at a bus stop, calling to someone across the street, "They took my phone!"
Not a lot that I could do I thought, but then I saw a police cyclist coming toward me in the direction of the tunnel.
I called out to him and gave him a quick appraisal of the event.
To his credit he took off like the Lone Ranger after the boys, but by the time I had crossed the road, picked up a paper, and was back by the bus stop, he was returning to say that his search had turned up nothing, not surprising really, the boys had probably vanished into the blocks of flats off Cherry Garden Street.
Just an indictment of present day London I guess, we are becoming inured to it.
I was left with an overpowering feeling of impotence at being unable to do anything but watch the tableau unfold before my eyes.
Zoe
Thursday 18 October 2012 6.39am
I have to say, nice one running man! I'd be very pleased with you if it was my car or bike.

I too have seen people who appear fitter than an Olympian committing crime, it seems rather a waste of what appears to be quite a talent (I saw someone highjump a wall to find somewhere to shoot up. I couldn't beleive my eyes at the size of the wall and he did it properly, like he'd been taught how to jump).

This might be why we need an actual Olympic legacy to get young people diverted from crime, rather than sensationalist stories about Southwark gangs.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions