London SE1 community website

Boris and the "habitable" bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 5 May 2009 8.04pm
I always thought that the Millennium Bridge was an opportunity missed. Although it is a good design, when you look down the river you can almost miss it as it blends into the 'landscape', and I always thought a Ponti Vecchio type of bridge would have been much more exciting and fun. However, having read TAKs comments I have changed my mind. I always remember how, when I worked in Bermondsey next to the old glue factory I used to get depressed with London, and this was always remedied with a visit 'up West', on a double decker over the Thames. The view down the river, and the real sense of space brightened up my mood, and it still does to this day. A Ponti Vecchio would block this view and close in the space. So, no Boris; don't do it!
Tuesday 5 May 2009 8.34pm
Agreed Jackie...a real "wow" factor idea. so much of london is so dull we need more of this kind of thing
Tuesday 5 May 2009 10.42pm
SOANE! thou shouldst be living at this hour:
Thames hath need of thee: she is a fen
Of stagnant waters: sketches of ink and pen,
Snare Boris into plans for bridge with towers
Tuesday 5 May 2009 10.50pm
The Millennium Bridge should have been left to wobble. This shot shows a stack of 5 bridges + public transport:
Tuesday 5 May 2009 10.58pm
Heads on bridges would cheer the place up. People who drop chewing gum for example and MPs who steal from the taxpayer.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 9.50am
"I always thought that the Millennium Bridge was an opportunity missed. Although it is a good design, when you look down the river you can almost miss it as it blends into the 'landscape'"

This was as intended so as not to obscure views along the river and the ever sacred view of St Paul's. It's description as a 'blade of light' has always seemed rather fanciful to me and certainly does not succeed as one.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 10.59am
Zoe wrote:
Tell us more about the kubus houses?

They're built on a bridge, on the edge of the old harbour area of Rotterdam, and right next to a bus/tram/underground hub. People live in them, apart from one house which is (or at least, was) open for public visits. Going inside is very odd, as the walls are at an angle in every room. At the very top of the house is a room which is a small square pyramid.

More info http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/cubichouses/index.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_house (which tells you that there are some in Helmond as well, apparently).

I used to work in Rotterdam quite a lot, and became quite enamoured of these buildings. Despite the fact that they are slap bang next to the only old buildings in Rotterdam (which was pretty much flattened by bombing in the war), they manage to be daring, modern, and funny, without detracting from the old harbour in the least.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 12.22pm
I like the idea of a bridge with accommodation on it, but it'd have to be done right, ideally, like this one, with the living space in a tower at one end, and still have a mostly open bridge, allowing continued views along the river. The cost of such flats would be incredibly expensive - you probably wouldn't get first time buyers, or families living in them, maybe part hotel part private might work. I think it'd be a bit like living on Regent St (I heard that they're putting residential properties into the refurbishment of Regent st for the first time in ages).
Wednesday 6 May 2009 4.37pm
Boris was asked about his living bridge on BBC London this morning and likened it to the Thameslink plans at Blackfriars:

"Well I think if you look at what we're going to do on Blackfriars [Railway] Bridge I think you'll see the making of it.

"The station is going to reach out over the bridge - you could imagine that there will be shops and other commercial premises there."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 10.54am
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3922

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions