London SE1 community website

That Polish Place restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
SEH
Wednesday 4 February 2004 10.21pm
I wouldn't want to put anyone off, but, as one who went there on the basis of posts to this forum, I'd like to add a few comments.

Savoury food is fine. We had Barszcz (beetroot soup) and mushroom soup then Pierogi (ravioli type dumplings) and Bigos (sauerkraut with pork and sauasage), all very homely. I would not recommend the non-cooked cheesecake, which was covered in jelly. What's wrong with a nice cooked cheesecake?

The atmosphere is dire. The surroundings and music are as described. We arrived early and were the only guests for quite a while. By the time we left, around 9, there were 2 other couples widely spaced round the dance floor. It felt very like the sort of place you'd hold a Greek wedding. Definitely not the place for a romantic date! I went with an old friend of Polish extraction so we could laugh about the odd surroundings and he could advise on the menu.

I daresay it's fine at the weekend when it's full, but on a cold Wednesday it was a bit of an odd experience.

Thursday 5 February 2004 1.23am
Its definitely that Polish Place for those Polish people. I think it might appeal to those wanting to experience a bit of another culture parachuted surreally into the Elephant and Castle - the sort of people who would eat in 'The Sweet and Spicy' in Brick Lane where they serve Pakistani food as enjoyed by Pakistani people, in preference to the countless other places which are more like what British people expect of an Indian restaurant. It appealed to me for nostalgic reasons - reminded me of all the Polish clubs in the Midlands that I got dragged round by my family in my youth and I hated them because they were so naff.

I took said vegetarian friend to the Polish club in Hammermith and he noticed 'theres a bloke on the next table who looks just like Lech Walesa'. Indeed there was - in fact there was one at every table. I feel this place might be the same.

I fancy going for nostalgic reasons and because I like a good dose of Polish food once in a while and both SEH and Ivanhoe reckon the foods OK - but maybe you have to bring your own atmosphere or go when its busy. S'funny, I have got such an strong image of what the place is like even though I haven't eaten there yet. Will post again when I have something proper to report.
Thursday 5 February 2004 9.05am
But can you send money back to Poland?
Thursday 5 February 2004 9.14am
only if you look like Lech Waresa

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 5 February 2004 11.39pm
Right - that's it. I'm changing my name to Bob.
Friday 6 February 2004 10.29am
that's not very ladylike

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Sunday 8 February 2004 3.21am
Ivanhoe - depends if you watch Blackadder; I remember "Bob" being decidedly feminine!"

Went to Prague for a wedding anniversary 3 years ago, v. happy memories including lots of meat, dumplings, beer & open-air opera (La Traviata). Have decided after reading your postings to drag my chap down to "That Polish Place" one Friday night (after 9pm!) for a little nostalgia as it sounds very similar. (Though a 4 course meal including Wild Boar, Duck, French Wine etc. was about 40 for 2, so not expecting quite the same value for money outside the Czech Republic!)

There is no such thing as an Athiest on a Battlefied ... Anon
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions