London SE1 community website

Home Mac repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Al
Monday 9 February 2004 11.28am
Actually, can anybody help me? I burnt a back-up CD on a pc laptop and now cannot open the files on a mac or pc although they do show up as the correct file type.

I've been quoted 100 to try and recover the CD by a company in SE1 and wondered if anybody could suggest a cheaper option. I have a suspicion this is quite a straightforward job.

I've tried an older version of Norton but it says the CD is not a HFS disc, and I can't copy the files onto the hard drive to look at them there. As you might have gathered from the above post, I'm not running Norton on my G4.

Top tips anybody?
Sunday 15 February 2004 6.55pm
I know a very mac person who can deal with all matters mac related. Contact: [email protected]

I can't work without him!

Good luck
Monday 16 February 2004 9.18am
Thanks for all the advice.

I've decided to steer clear of defragging the hard drive for now - it sounds too risky in terms of losing files. Having run the software for the last couple of days without too many problems it all seems to be working okay, so don't want to risk upsetting the applecart...
Tuesday 17 February 2004 9.35am
I second kristine's recommendation of Bob - knows the mac inside out, very professional, and will certainly be able to help you out...

Feel free to email me if you have questions about him!

James
Friday 9 October 2009 8.15pm
Here's a number worth keeping:
Paul Mac Apple repairs
Databugs
020 77016077
paul@databugs.co.uk
Wednesday 24 February 2010 7.19pm
graham wrote:
Here's a number worth keeping:
Paul Mac Apple repairs
Databugs
020 77016077
paul@databugs.co.uk

Thanks graham ! I took your advice and contacted Paul at Databugs last week. My 4-year old Macbook pro is transformed.

I had just 5 Gb of hard disk left and the original operating system which had problems and crashes. I dropped it off on saturday and Paul did a great job. He installed a new 320 Gb drive and I now have 240 Gb free space. That means everything is faster, and lots of room to grow. He also upgraded the OS -Snow Leopard is a great improvement - no problems, no crashes and lots more functionality.

Highly recommended - great advice on the options open to me. I'd go back for trusted advice anytime, Kevin
Wednesday 24 February 2010 7.57pm
Mactastic!
Monday 1 March 2010 11.37am
Reading through these posts, I get the impression that people are not keeping back-ups on a separate hard drive. External drives only cost around 50+ I've got 2 which I back up everything onto at least once a month. Fellow at Apple told me that auto back up systems were not too reliable (or cheap) and that over the years he had worked at Apple, external hard drive back-up was the best way. I was glad I had a back up when my Mac hard drive failed with over 3,000 photos on it...G4 hard drive replacement 300 ouch!
Monday 1 March 2010 8.02pm
Don't run with scissors, and always back up important documents - Lacie's 'Rugged' is my favourite.
Monday 1 March 2010 8.28pm
anybody running leopard/snow leopard should definitely
have Time machine set up to run to an external drive.As other posters have said the costs are minimal and the set up time is minutes..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions