London SE1 community website

Igloo flower shop Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 21 May 2009 12.31pm
ceity slicker wrote:
From a conversation in the Bermondsey Street branch last night, it appears that an unsighted person tripped over one of their displays outside Shad Thames, complained, and then Southwark closed them down.
For now, the contract business etc for local businesses in Shad Thames is being run from the BS HQ.

Lucky no-one has ever tripped up on the Shad Thames cobbles,or they'd have to close the whole place down !

Gosh given that I am surprised that igloo in Bermondsey street still put so much put in front of their shop, as they have stuff by there window and on the edge of the pavement, with quite a small path clear down the middle. Having had one branch closed down i am not sure i would want to take the risk. Then again Bermondsey street is one big obstacle so persons of limited sight/unsighted would have trip long before they got to them.
Thursday 21 May 2009 2.06pm
The proximity to Igloo of excellent The Metropolitan Society for the Blind at 102 Bermondsey Street suggests that serious injury to unsighted people from flower displays has so far been avoided.

This may be a minor miracle, but considering the scaffoldings, road-mending debris, locked-up bicycles, dustbins, cracked paving stones and commercial A-boards up and down Bermondsey Street I suspect that Health and Safety would have its work cut out (like the cobbles of Shad Thames), to ensure a billiard-table environment.

In my view, the display outside Igloo is a minimal and acceptable risk.
Thursday 21 May 2009 2.45pm
how idiotic. the rate we're going we'll soon be able to sue the council or government if we don't live to be 100.
Thursday 21 May 2009 3.47pm
ceity slicker wrote:

This may be a minor miracle, but considering the scaffoldings, road-mending debris, locked-up bicycles, dustbins, cracked paving stones and commercial A-boards up and down Bermondsey Street I suspect that Health and Safety would have its work cut out (

Thats what i meant with it being one big obstacle course. I am not trying to imply they shouldn't put stock out side, i rather like to see it but if i had one branch of my business closed because of a display outside one of my premises i am not sure i would take such a risk at the 2nd premises.

Out of interest is there a reason why we are referring to people who can not see unsighted rather than blind?
Thursday 21 May 2009 6.57pm
So let me get this straight - 10's of thousands of people walk past the flower shop with no reported mishaps & then one person trips over & the shop is closed down ? It's health & safety gone mad- yet again. Who enforces these rules & don't they have any common sense ?
Thursday 21 May 2009 8.00pm
It does seem a tad extreme. Are we certain there isn't more to this story?
Friday 22 May 2009 11.26am
I heard about this yesterday - I would sue if I was igloo. This is absolutely ridiculous.

With this logic, we should remove all the posts on Shad Thames in case a blind person collides with them. And the steps leading to Starbucks on the other side, etc etc.

They should go to the media!
Friday 22 May 2009 10.40pm
I think tolstoy might be right, I am sure there must be more to this story than we know. Surely a warning or a fine would have been a more likely outcome. I would be surprised if they had the power to close the shop down on the spot unless of course they have already had l warnings.
Monday 25 May 2009 7.47am
bizarre... I find this hard to believe... I didn't buy anything from them but it certainly looked nice.
Monday 25 May 2009 2.43pm
I'm certain it's a financial reason. Too many shops opening too quickly. Shame coz I love their displays. Do find the owner pretty rude but Steve (I think his name is) is friendly enough. Knows his wines as well.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions