London SE1 community website

Igloo flower shop Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 25 May 2009 4.44pm
I went in a couple of times to the one on Bermondsey Street to buy wine and was completely ignored by the several people working there. Both times I walked out empty-handed. However, I did go in recently because I needed a good bottle in a hurry, and the man who was there alone that night was great. I'm not sure which the owner is.
Monday 25 May 2009 5.22pm
The blonde chap is always helpful and friendly, while the dark haired one with day old stubble always looks miserable as sin.
Monday 25 May 2009 7.05pm
Ivanhoe wrote:

And on the other side of the borough, the florist on Gt Suffolk St (?Denise's?) along by the locksmith and the fruit and veg shop also does a good job at a good price.

Agree with Ivanhoe: Denise's is a really good florist and has great prices: I buy regularly there and am a very satisfied customer - that's my only link!
Tuesday 26 May 2009 1.27pm
A quick recap.

Looks like Tolstoy and Coffee's instincts were spot on - and that the story is not a simple I suggested here last week.

I am still not sure that I have got to the bottom of it! Anyway, here goes...

According to Steve in Igloo Bermondsey Street last Saturday, the Council withdrew its trading permission after persistent complaints, largely from a single individual, who seemed to be upset about the display on the Shad Thames pavement.

Looking in the window of Igloo Shad Thames yesterday, there is a Southwark Council permission (expired end-March 2009) which allows Igloo to extend the display 1.1 metres onto the pavement, if I understand it correctly. So the issue may revolve around that limit being exceeded, or someone's perception that it was being exceeded.

So a big apology from me to missdoo, who asked the question originally and to all SE1'ers who were exercised by the earlier version I heard from a junior Igloo employee and posted last week.

But I still find it puzzling that Igloo's display could provoke such strong disapproval!
Tuesday 26 May 2009 7.38pm
ceity slicker wrote:
But I still find it puzzling that Igloo's display could provoke such strong disapproval!
Disappointing that people can be so petty isn't it. I find it mild unacceptable that Southwark would have acted on the basis of one complainant, regardless of how aggressive that complainant might be.
Thursday 28 May 2009 4.01pm
I think the flowers outside both branches look lovely. The guys that own Igloo have always been really sweet to me - they even sent me a bottle when i had a big birthday recently.

Whoever takes the trouble to complain about flowers on a pavement in an area that's moreorless traffic free should seriously think about getting a life
Thursday 28 May 2009 5.55pm
Hi there.Being the owner of igloo,I felt compelled to join the forum and fill you in as to what's going on.

A massive thanks to the positive comments about igloo.I'm having an awful lot to deal with re Council and it's reassuring to know that people feel equally frustrated, are looking for some answers and love us being there ( as I do ).

The council have revoked my license due to a persistent complaint by a pinched,mean spirited woman.She did not trip over flowers or slip on a petal.She just didn't like us being there.

I have been paying the council a Shop Front License which gave me 1.1metre to display my flowers.We always kept within the boundary unless there was a quick flower drop off at the beginning of trading.

Two weeks ago,after only one verbal warning and one letter saying the license was revoked,they came to take the flowers away and confiscate them.They did,however give us 30 minutes to pack them on to the van and take them ourselves.

The day before,John and myself tried to trade from inside igloo with all the flowers stacked to high heaven.There was no room to breathe,let alone wrap up.

So,the Council,without agreeing to a compromised solution,left me no alternative but to close down.I do hope this is on a temporary basis for all our sakes.

I've written to Simon Hughes MP,Boris Johnson and am waiting on the Council appeal decision.

From my point of view,I'm shocked that one sad individual has managed to convince the council to revoke my license and ,in effect close me down.I've had over 300 manual signatures and have an on line petition ( ipetition/iglooshadthames.)which started today.Please take the time to sign it if you can.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

Simon.iglooflowers.com
Thursday 28 May 2009 6.20pm
Thats very honest of you Simon. As you said, its a shame that one individual can turn your life upside down. Hopefully the council will let you re open soon. I miss the display to. Although the one on Bermondsey Street is nice to!!
Thursday 28 May 2009 8.12pm
Trying to be helpful:

Your website is:http://iglooflowers.com/

I can't find your petition in ipetition.com, else I'd cite a working link and sign it.

Can you tell us what the complaint actually is? On the face of it it's preposterous. I've never seen a problem in the 1000's of times I've passed by and if there were it's nothing compared to other local issues that Southwark has let slip over the years. There should be a presumption in favour of local businesses not a pettifogging tyranny.
Thursday 28 May 2009 9.24pm
Hey Pops and Mark. Yep,in this mad world we live in,the circus becomes even more warped when some clown turns nasty.

To answer you,the council,by law,have to act on complaints.Within their own jurisdiction,they can revoke licenses,even after granting them,if they so choose.This is my dilemma,and hopefully,strong case.Why issue me with a shop front trading license,then take it away from me?

There's been a flower shop at Shad Thames for over 10 years.There have always been flowers outside.A lovely lady whose on the Shad Thames committee said it'd be worth my while to talk to the Highways Dept with some kind of structure on the outside that doesn't fall on the pavement.I'm persuing this,diplomatically.

There's no issue with wheelchair users as I've had strong,loyal support and signature backing.So,I genuinly can't see the problem.

There's going to be one big floral Shad Thames drinky party ( I hope )once a compromise is achieved.

I'll keep you posted.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions