London SE1 community website

Quill - 28-storey tower at corner of Weston Street & St Thomas' Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 2 December 2009 4.31pm
This whole plan is ridiculous....no i'm not being a NIMBY...the size of the development is just too big for the area. That's all before everyone jumps on the case. Please redevelop the site but with something the area and community can accomodate. 500plus students living there is not practical...anyone tried getting a local GP appointment latley amongst other problems that will arise. Residentias needs have to be balanced with residential density and this just won't be good for the area.
Wednesday 2 December 2009 5.18pm
urbanite has expressed my views beautifully. Won't the area have its share of high-rise buildings anyway, especially once the 'Shard' comes to fruition. As I have said elsewhere, this area is too saturated; urbanite puts it neatly when he raises the GP point. I thought more student accommodation was coming to Great Dover Street anyway? I hate talk of conspiracies but whether it actually does become student accommodation (assuming that PP is granted) is something we will have to wait and see.
Wednesday 30 December 2009 6.37pm
The owners of Beckett House next door are planning their own redevelopment scheme:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/75706_1.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 December 2009 10.32pm
Urbanite, you raise two points: numbers of students in the area and GP places. Both are currently catered for, it seeems to me.

First there are already more than 500 students living in the area. Indeed there are roughly 5000 students already studying in the area at King's health science/medical school. There have been medical students in the area for nearly 800 years. I don't see much of a change to the area :-)

Second, students receive their own seperate medical services and so should not be an additional strain. In fact, nearly all the medical services in the St Thomas street area are there because of the presence of the medical school.

I cannot talk on behalf of the College so you will have to check details with them - but I don't see how this development can possibly change the character of an area which is already defined by its medical school and hospital.
Thursday 31 December 2009 8.51am
Unfortunatley I cannot agree with Londonist here on this one. The area is defined not only by the medical school but by the rest of the area too. The small narrow streets, the already dense residential population, the demographics of all those who work live and study in the area, the transport hub that is London Bridge Sation, the soon to be built Shard to name but some. Basing your feeling for the development on the needs of 1 group (medical students) seems somewhat narrow to me.

Secondly I didn't mean to only highlight GPs services, but used that as an example of already straining services in an area which has had a rapidly growing residential population over the last decade.

It is true if we want to have a larger population in London then we will have to build upwards, but then that really would mean redefining areas, small and large, and not basing it on spurious groups as an excuse in very localised areas, and for those of you who have been to some of the more crowded cities, as in Asia and South America, we must really think can we manage that sort of change here if we decide we want it.
Thursday 31 December 2009 11.25am
I like it. Its a great design, which shows real imagination. Not so bothered whether it houses students or not, services will have to be supplied to cater for the increased numbers, and its a huge improvement on the existing building.

I think that now the Shard is on its way up there is no point in holding back on the areas just around. Obviously keep the traditional areas like Bermondsey St etc as lovely conservation areas but how exiting to have them side by side with some of the best architecture in London...
Tuesday 19 January 2010 7.34pm
I wonder if this will actually look like it does in those computer-generated images. I saw the elevational drawings and thought the building looked a right mess from those.

The CGIs mollify me somewhat, but I'm still not keen on the way the 'ski-slope' massing of the building is handled and I have reservations about the quality of the finishing: student accommodation schemes are notorious for pinny-pinching value engineering once planning permission's been secured.

Overall, I'm not keen. Cities should beware of overloading themselves with "Look at me!" architecture. Only Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum would think otherwise.
Monday 12 July 2010 11.37am
Seems that the design has been altered to address concerns re views from the Tower of London:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/101641_1.pdf

Saturday 31 July 2010 6.23pm
An update - seems that the tower has been split into two parts with a linking bridge

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/104610_1.pdf

Monday 2 August 2010 11.04am
Wow...even SC Planning Dept have woken up to the fact that pathways in the area are inadequate given possible foot traffic...and don't forget they get paid to realise this...and some people think the neighbouring 3 towers scheme will fit in the area...barking!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions