London SE1 community website

Bike stolen from Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 19 June 2009 9.29am
The bike was actually being collected because the owner was robbed and his keys to the lock was stolen.....so someone got the bike for him while he was reporting this other crime.....
Sunday 5 June 2011 10.52pm
mh why you bothering about this? Crime is a part of life and it is down to the individual to make sure his/her bike is locked up securely with a decent lock. I'm assuming the lock used to lock the bike was weak hence the thief's easily cut through it. If the bike owner was really concerned about theft then he/she should have bought a proper lock that would at least deter any would be thief to think again. It is the bike owners responsibility to make sure his/her bike is locked up securely not yours so don't worry about it. I see many bikes locked up poorly with a cheap lock and just don't understand why people do it. Maybe its because they can't be bothered to buy a decent good quality lock. Also, Tesco should really improve there bike racks because the one's I've seen down my local Tesco are absolutely s**t!
Monday 6 June 2011 12.58am
Please click here to see the 'cycle lock video' from a great champion of cycling in Southwark and beyond. Barry Mason.
Zoe
Monday 6 June 2011 7.48am
Hi Graham, thanks for that. I was really sad to hear about Barry passing away, he's such a loss.
Monday 6 June 2011 11.22am
Good video Graham!
Monday 6 June 2011 11.33am
You could just report it online, which will take you 5 min. If the owner also reports it, I'd hope the police can put one and one together and it may help him or her in the insurance claim.

A good lock, a basket (no street cred, but good for shopping anyway) and scratches all over will make the bike less attractive.
Monday 6 June 2011 2.33pm
Johnny, that's a sad attitude to take. If someone steals your bike the person at fault is the thief, not the victim.

Everyone should take adequate precautions but with a decent set of bolt cutters you really can get through anything.

The best hope is someone having a good shout and calling the police.

Hat tip to the original poster for caring. Please do report it, and any crime in progress is worthy of a 999 IMHO - the police are about to respond if they know.
Monday 6 June 2011 10.52pm
Jamesup yes I don't deny that with the right tools and enough time the thief could get through any lock but I was just trying to say that maybe the bike owner should have got a tougher lock. Mh did mention that the teenagers got through the lock so easily so this gives me an impression that the lock used was weak and probably cheap too. It's a bit like buying a cheap lock for your front door and then expecting someone else to notice the burglary if it happens. Would one not buy the best lock for there front door so that the burglary didn't happen in the first instance?

Anyway, I am glad mh made all that effort to try and help and there should be more people like mh and then the world would be a much safer place. But the responsibility should not lie entirely with the members of the public to keep watch and the owner should take some responsibility too IMO.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions