London SE1 community website

Street works on The Cut and Waterloo Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 16 July 2009 10.35pm
My normal tendency is to welcome pedestrian priority over road users, but this scheme does seem to be spectacularly ill-thought out.

It's traffic-clogged the stretch of Waterloo Road between the Cut and St George's Circus, which used to run pretty freely most of the time, and lengthened bus journey times for dozens of buses an hour.

I am, however, looking forward to getting a pedestrian phase in the lights at this busy junction.
Zoe
Friday 17 July 2009 8.05am
Is there going to be a pelican crossing all aound the juntion?

It was one of the things that was annoying me, the pavement had been widened when it didn't need to be, but there isn't a crossing when it needs it.
Monday 17 August 2009 12.11pm
Am I going completely mad or they going to ban all traffic going east along the Cut? Surely there is no room now for a lane of traffic in each direction.
Monday 17 August 2009 12.32pm
I was up by the Old Vic yesterday for the first time in a few weeks (been away) and can't believe that a) the Cut is still closed to eastbound traffic while they putter about, and b) the whole scale of the project, ie: it seems they are raising the entire bit of road in front of the Old Vic and doing creative diagonal stonework with the pavers, etc.

I would like to know how much this is all costing during this period of recession, who planned this "improvement", and by what measure do they think this is better than the previous road layout? It can't be improved road safety or traffic flow.
Monday 17 August 2009 4.02pm
It does look like The Cut is being reduced to 1 lane each way, but Baylis Rd is still 2 lanes. Why does Baylis Rd get two lanes but Waterloo Rd with all the bus routes gets single lane? Is it deliberately anti-bus?

This morning, the northbound traffic was backing up because a Marstons Beer Lorry had parked in the now-much-narrower road in front of the Fire Station and buses were having to wait for a gap to overtake it. Infuriating when you are rushing to catch a train!
Monday 17 August 2009 4.55pm
theedy wrote:
Am I going completely mad or they going to ban all traffic going east along the Cut? Surely there is no room now for a lane of traffic in each direction.

Every day I pass through/across this junction (either on a bus which hardly moves or on foot taking my life in my hands) and can't quite believe what I'm seeing.

And the temporary traffic lights have been out on and off for over a week.

Words fail me...
Tuesday 18 August 2009 9.39am
Had another look at it last night. As windchill says they appear to be creating a large "table" from Waterloo Road right across the Cornwall Road/ Webber Street area. It appears they are doing it in the newfangled way where there is no curb so pedestrians and traffic have to beware of each other, (unless they put railings up.) If there are no railings traffic turning left into the Cut is sure to cut the corner.

We shall see. And it still leaves the newly-created bus park both ways on Waterloo Road.
mac
Tuesday 18 August 2009 3.59pm
I noticed yesterday they have got a (much needed) pedestrian crossing in place on the Baylis Road junction, though it's not working yet.

I was always having to fight to get past theatre-goers as they congregated outside the Old Vic smoking and taking up the whole pavement. Probably the Old Vic management insisted on giving them more room.

I live locally to the road works and recall receiving some information about proposed plans for the pavements along Baylis Road and The Cut quite a while ago, which invited comments. I expect this passes for consultation.
Tuesday 18 August 2009 4.18pm
I wonder how local one needs to be as I live on Webber Row, but don't recall receiving anything.

To be honest I would be surprised about the Old Vic complaining about a small pavement after so many years. I think this is more about the council's unwavering passion to bring traffic flow to a near standstill (which now seems to happen most mornings on Waterloo Road).

I remember the cabs used to do a good trick of a quick u-turn in front of the theatre to drop fares right in front of the theatre - I can't see that happening anymore.
mac
Tuesday 18 August 2009 5.37pm
Is Webber Row in Southwark? I live literally across the road in Lambeth. Wonder if that makes any difference to 'consultation' practices of different councils....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions