London SE1 community website

Waterloo traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 17 February 2004 11.19am
The 'funny little house' is the back of the Hole in the Wall pub, and the last remnant of three streets that used to run between Waterloo Road and the railway viaduct. Following bomb damage, I think that most of the rest were pulled down (for coach parking ???)at the time of the Festival of Britain.

It is a listed building - details from English Heritage's Images of England website follow. (There is no image on the site)

"Location : LAMBETH, GREATER LONDON
IoE number : 204785
Date listed : 27 MAR 1981

WHICHCOTE STREET SE1 (south side) No 5

Listed Grade II

Early C19. Two-storey, 2-window cottage with sunk basement. Stock brick, parapet front. Gauged flat brick arches to sash windows with glazing bars in stucco-lined reveals. Boot-scraper in wall at right of 4-panel door with narrow pilasters, cornice head and blocked fanlight under round gauged brick arch. Graded partly for prominent island position. "

The new "bus station" at Tenison Way seems to be nothing more than a row of shelters. There were plans at the time of construction of the Jubilee Line Extension for a much more ambitious piece of architecture - I'm not sure whether it was dropped as part of the cuts when the JLE scheme went so far over budget.

Post edited (17 Feb 04 12:04)
Friday 19 March 2004 8.39am
Further to this discussion, there is a demonstration planned for Wednesday 31st March 0830 to draw attention to the new layout for buses at Waterloo roundabout and the dangers it seems to be bringing to cyclists.

Jenny Jones, Deputy Mayor of London and Green Party Assembly Member, will be there, and her press release reads:

Jenny Jones, Deputy Mayor of London and Green Party Assembly Member, will be meeting South East London cyclists at Waterloo roundabout to see for herself how the new layout affects cyclists. The layout of the roundabout and its approaches have been changed to give buses access to new parking bays in front of Waterloo Station and cyclists strongly feel that they have been
left exposed to danger. Jenny, a cyclist herself, will be joining cyclists on Wednesday 31st March at 08.30 and negotiating the roundabout during rush hour traffic.

Jenny said "When we design roads and roundabouts, we have to design them for the safety of all road users, and that includes cyclists & pedestrians. More and more people are cycling - we must make it easy & safe"

Clare Neely from Lambeth Cyclists says: "Cyclists from the Lambeth and Southwark groups of the London Cycling Campaign are very disappointed that the lessons of Vauxhall Cross have not been learnt by TfL in the works to install improved facilities for buses at Waterloo Roundabout. Throughout the project TfL have ignored comments made by us on the proposals, exactly as happened at Vauxhall Cross. The works are now on site and an already dangerous junction has become even more hazardous for cyclists.

"The Mayor`s congestion charge has resulted in large numbers of ondoners getting out of their cars and switching to a healthy cycling alternative, this benefits all Lambeth and Southwark residents and we do not want any cyclists returning to their cars because cycling in London feels dangerous and unpleasant."

Friday 19 March 2004 9.57am
This looks like another of those hugely selfish bicycle demonstrations to me. I was astonished to see that on Friday night a couple of weeks ago around 6pm a crowd of tens of cyclists holding up the traffic going northbound over Waterloo bridge.

London traffic is horrid enough at the best of times without selfish egoistical cyclists blocking roads for the sake of it.

I shall choose another bridge a week on Wednesday - thank you for the warning, chaps.
rm
Friday 19 March 2004 11.00am
Try walking instead........

It's very bracing!
Friday 19 March 2004 12.40pm
Love walking, but like fresh wind on my face and a good wet breeze, in London I prefer the bus as it gives me time to do the crossword.
Friday 19 March 2004 12.47pm
Mapmaker

I think you will find that the Critical Mass cyclists generally make way for buses. It is only private motorists that they make a point of obstructing.
Friday 19 March 2004 1.25pm
Mapmaker. A few weeks ago there was an inpromptu demonstration by cyclists at the North End of Southwark Bridge because a cyclist was killed in a collision with a car. Personally I wouldnt associate this with being 'selfish', 'egotistical' or doing things for the 'sake of it'.

There has for a long time been a campaign running through traditional channels in an effort to improve the safety of cyclists at that particular junction (see the london cycle campaign web site) but a very dangerous situation still remains.

Speaking as a cyclist who abides by the rules of the road and who used to pass that point twice a day it is the only place where I cycle (very slowly) on the pavement and take my chances with truculent pedestrians.

To quote from a graffiti artist in Hackney: 'If voting changed anything, it would be illegal'

Post edited (19 Mar 04 13:27)

gggggrrrrrruuff
Friday 19 March 2004 2.15pm
hot puppy wrote:

> To quote from a graffiti artist in Hackney: 'If voting
> changed anything, it would be illegal'

Oi, give pioneering anarcho-feminist Emma Goldman her rightful credit for coining that one!

Some of us are old enough to remember 1987, when a certain scourge of the establishment called Ken Livingstone published a book which made use of a suspiciously similar quote:

If Voting Changed Anything, They'd Abolish It
Collins, London 1987 - 0002177706

Post edited (19 Mar 04 17:03)
Friday 19 March 2004 2.52pm

Great 'tache Ken!
Friday 19 March 2004 3.15pm
Mr Caninus wrote something about a Southwark bridge demonstration. I'm not quite sure what it had to do with my post. Firstly I was referring to 6pm on Waterloo bridge on a Friday night. Thanks to Lang Rabbie's post, I now know it must have been after 7pm, apologies for that mistake, but I also now know that it's a once-a-month pointless holding up of the traffic. Secondly, blocking Southwark Bridge won't bring back a dead cyclist. I don't know how or why he died, it might even have been his own fault, or he might have been totally blameless. No doubt when he died the police blocked off half of London for about 12 hours (see threads passim) - surely that's more than enough disruption from one death. That is not a reason to hold up London (which is horrid and blocked up enough as it is). Like every other demonstration blocking roads, it is abhorrent.

Do people have nothing better to do with their lives? Norman Tebbit had a suggestion for them!

Tell me, what does holding up the traffic achieve, apart from lost tempers? Cycling in London is never going to be as safe as cycling in Cambridge until they get rid of bus drivers (again, see threads passim!)

I note the attitute of criminal mass's cyclists towards buses: 'Buses are also our friends. A proper public transport system is essential to reduce the number of cars on the roads. We should let buses through the Mass wherever possible. Sometimes there will be several cars in front of the bus (even when it is in a bus lane!). If there are only one or two cars, it may be best to let them through as well (depending on the situation); if there are more, the bus will normally reach a bus stop or a red light before it can catch up with the Mass. The same goes for other forms of public transport, like trams.' That makes it quite clear that a bus with more than 2 cars in front of it isn't going to get through. If you hold up enough cars, the bus just isn't going to get close enough to be seen, let alone get through! That really is paying lip service to 'ideology'! Given the cyclists barely reach walking pace, the poor bus in the bus lane with 3 cars before it isn't going to go anywhere.

Now I love cycling (in Cambridge). I've never done anything so scary as cycling in London, and shall never do it again, I'm afraid. It's just not sensible. Cars and bicycles do not mix. If there isn't a dedicated cycle lane, it's downright stupid. A shared bus and bicycle lane is the worst - I tried that - and quickly got onto the pavement, quivvering!

Why anybody would want to cycle on a road shared with a London bus and a cab is totally beyond me!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions