London SE1 community website

Waterloo traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 19 March 2004 4.50pm
Mapmaker :
<<Now I love cycling (in Cambridge). I've never done anything so scary as cycling in London, and shall never do it again, I'm afraid. It's just not sensible. Cars and bicycles do not mix. If there isn't a dedicated cycle lane, it's downright stupid. A shared bus and bicycle lane is the worst - I tried that - and quickly got onto the pavement, quivvering! >>

amongst Critical Mass aims (quoted from their website)
"Campaigning for better provision for cyclists "

so surely mapmaker, from what you say, you agree that there should be better provision for cyclists.
Friday 19 March 2004 4.53pm
oh and surely "selfish egoistical" is tautology ;-)
Monday 22 March 2004 10.23am
Mapmaker - re your post of 19th March, you might want to look at this link, and maybe even reflect a little. http://www.blagged.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/citycyclists/seb.html
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.16pm
Luke - I didn't write that it served the cyclist right that he was dead. But he is dead, and no amount of making London more horrible for the rest of us will bring him back to life.

London is a big place, and there are 10 million of us here. We all need to show a little more consideration for others, and blocking the roads, and holding up the natural capitalist tendancies of the City doesn't help anybody.

I believe with a passion that such selfish attitudes don't help. If you cyclists don't like the current provision for cyclists (and I don't blame you, but then I do not consider the bicycle as appropriate transport for London), then campaign for it to be changed through civilised routes (like writing to your ineffectual MP), not by irritating the rest of us - you want us on your side, not against you, and obstructing us as we go home doesn't help.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 3.36pm
mapmaker,

(Ignoring the fact that you probably believe the sedan chair to be the perfect form of London transport) are you seriously suggesting that the car is the best way for 10 million people to get around London?

I know you will go on about how noble you are for using the bus, but that still leaves 9,999,999 cars. Let's assume that ALL of them have two people in (a ridiculous assumption, I know, but I want to be kind to you), then that's *only* 5 million cars to fit onto our wide open, uncongested, thouroughfares.

My ar*e.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 14 June 2004 3.56pm
Does anybody know if anything came of the meeting between Jenny Jones and cyclists, mentioned earlier in this thread?

Monday 14 June 2004 4.53pm
I read that TfL have installled some signs asking car drivers to look out (though I haven't seen them yet). I think that's it, unfortunately.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions