London SE1 community website

Childcare

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 23 June 2009 9.32am
Actually... having just looked at your map, it may be ideal - the 78 bus goes past both of you and would probably only take 5-10 minutes (well.. once it actually arrives!) - She lives on Elm Grove, which is on the northern end of Rye Lane.

No connections - I just know that Myah absolutely loves her - they even all went on holiday together recently! :o)
Tuesday 23 June 2009 11.54am
a childminder might be better and sometimes more flexible, and with a young baby i have prefered a one-to-one. but you need to find someone you like and who is available to take babies under 18mths.

not sure how long the waiting list is for babies, but have you called the arc on crosby row?
my daughter went there years ago and my son is there now part time. very happy with them.

arc nursery

good luck.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 2.41pm
Thank you for the recommendation! Unfortunately I work in Holborn and my partner in Mayfair so it would mean back-tracking and the 78 is soooo unreliable. Hopefully I'll find one nearer. Best wishes.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 3.04pm
Thank you Schnake. I will keep searching for a childminder or nanny share. I am already on the list at 3 nurseries, so would assume I wouldn't get a place at the Arc before one of the other places come up. Best wishes
Tuesday 23 June 2009 10.26pm
We have our daughter at Bright Horizons nursery on Empire Square, they are really good. It isn't quite one-to-one child care, but not far off. When our daughter started (last October aged 7 months), they didn't have a waiting list.
Friday 26 June 2009 9.07am
Thank you. I popped in and they have spaces for October which is great. Again, it's not an ideal location but it could work if nothing else comes up. The lady I spoke to seemed lovely and I had a little peek through at the baby room. They were all toddling around happily and there did look like a high number of staff per child.
Friday 26 June 2009 12.17pm
My son went to Bright Horizons at Empire Square and I didn't rate it at all. Compared to the nursery he is in now 3 days a week it was not good at all. He went there for 3 months and it really is just basic 'day care' they don't really do any of the 'early years education' that a good nursery or childrens centre delivers.

It is privately run and they really just focus on keeping the child safe, but no more from what I saw. They focus all of their day about writing reports on what time your child went to the toilet etc. which occupies all the time of the carer staff, rather than them being hands on and loving with the children.

Also, most of the staff appeared to be very bored minumum wage staff who were just there going through the motions. Compared to the loving, caring staff at my son's nursery where he goes now there was no comparison, BH just was about making money and it is VERY expensive too (double the price of other nurseries).

You will find that good nurseries are full, not so good ones have spaces - I know that doesn't really help you but I wouldn't put my son back in there - he wasn't given much tactile love and attention from my own observations.

Also note - this is my subjective opinion, but I'm happy to stand by this opinion based on my experiences.
Friday 26 June 2009 12.32pm
Ok - thanks. I appreciate you being honest about your experience of it. I had actually put the spaces down to the cost. Many thanks. I'll PM you about your childminder. I was keen to know which end of Spa road she is.
Friday 26 June 2009 3.07pm
She lives on the Neckinger estate off Spa Road.

BTW my son goes to Kintore Way nursery - which is just the most amazing place for children I've ever seen. It's so good I recently became a govenor so I can help support their work.
Saturday 27 June 2009 3.41pm
The Arc waiting list is 5 months at the moment. I went to visit it a month or so ago so I doubt it has got that much longer. Have you tried the goverment website for childminders ? (http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/index.asp). I found the childminder I'm going to use through them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions