London SE1 community website

Roadworks in Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 26 June 2009 9.38am
I agree the work needs doing Serge but it is the timing that is the issue -not all night every night for a week when it could have been done over a weekend. You are lucky not to be on the main road and not to have children trying to sleep through it-in community spirit perhaps some empathy with your neighbours would not go amiss
Friday 26 June 2009 11.00am
I imagine they did not do it for a purpose. Maybe, it takes more than a weekend to do it or the contractors did not want to work at weekends or it was more expensive. If they had chosen a weekend, another section of the population would have complained. They started the work on the 22nd and it is meant to be finished tonight ie 5 nights. i hope they will finish on time.
Friday 26 June 2009 11.36am
considering we have had several weekend road closures whist the water mains were replaced this should not have been an issue. At least then they warned us the work was going to go ahead and with this set of works no warning was given. I would also have thought paying Conway to work through the night would have been a lot more expensive than weekend work. I too hope they finish tonight so at least we can get some sleep
Jac
Saturday 27 June 2009 3.06pm
i am so glad the resurfacing has been done. The new road surface is quieter and hopefully the rain water will not puddle outside our front door anymore (looks like it slops to the drain so i am hopeful). I am also extremely glad I was away the night they used the road roller, Mr jac said everything in the house was shaking, the cups in cupboards the picture on the wall etc (we have a basement so not sure if that makes it worse). Luckily one on of the mini jacs was also away on a school tips otherwise we would have had the tired at school problem.

As for why it had to be done at night I have no idea, I cant see that was really necessary considering it has been closed at weekends on a regular basis. As for notification, we did get a letter through the door from the contractors giving just over a weeks notice. It also has a brief feedback questionnaire on the reverse
Monday 29 June 2009 8.04am
Agreed Jac the road surface is better and quieter. We also had ponding problems outside our door so I wait to see how much this has improved

I am surprised you got some notice when it appears others along the same part of Long Lane got none. I am just glad it is over but now we can't sleep because of the heat!!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions