London SE1 community website

Floral Hall portico

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Monday 16 February 2004 4.49pm

I love posts like this....from discussing the colour of a Floral Hall Portico to Ancient Egyptian Astronomy is one easy step.

Superb!

By the way is that Ptolemy geezer the bloke who appeared on the TV prog Restoration??
Monday 16 February 2004 4.56pm
The structure is a mixture of mainly original and [I assume] some new bits, and because if you look closely there is a less than perfect finish to some of the flat surfaces the grey paint does emphasise the look of something having just been cast. Yet look from a distance and it almost seems too perfect next to its neighbours, a bit like grey plastic...perhaps it reminds me of the unpainted airfix kits my brother had....or were they black?
Monday 16 February 2004 5.08pm
Yes, Daniel - Ptolemy was on Restoration

He was also the architect of Southwark Cathedral's millennium project (the courtyard, library and refectory etc on the north side)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 16 February 2004 5.24pm

A Melted Pony ?
Monday 16 February 2004 5.36pm

My Old Ant Pee ?
Monday 16 February 2004 6.45pm
openly mated?
dopey, mental?
apt old enemy?
Ole, my pedant!
deploy at men?
tend maypole? (or, dent maypole, if that sounds weirder)?
yodel apt men? (high on a pyramid stood a lonely camelherd?)
no pet lady me?
pee manly dot?

[obviously i used a computer for this]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 16 February 2004 11.30pm
I loved the restoration program last year I didn't take much notice of the presenters ,so this Ptolemy Dean is a trusty of the market,thats why every one else's opinions on this have been ignored

Well sadly he's misguided and wrong.

Silvery desaturated colour would be better than gray giving the building some warmth and luster

A good designer could play around with the circles and squares on the building and come up with a slightly more contemporary veneration on the original colouration theme

The options are endless
Gray can work as part of a balenced colour scheme on its own its just dead.

Half of Spital fields market was demolished last year to build gray office buildings its a sort of insult to the idea of conservation to paint a historic building like its an office block.
Which is basically what they have done, especially when the colouration of most office buildings is dictated entialy by cost cuts,which is why there gray .

Tuesday 17 February 2004 10.21am
Michael,

You are obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about your subject, but the main building which is currently being constructed on the former site of half of Spitalfields market (Bishop's Square) is largely glass, with a green (rather than grey) colour scheme.

It is, of course, still an office block.

Tuesday 17 February 2004 12.37pm
Of course, there is always another argumant, namely that too much conservation would be stifling and the city needs to adapt to survive. To move part of one building across town is hardly conservation in it's purest form anyway. London is full of buildings that have been adapted over different periods. To what point should these be restored?

I'm inclined to agree that the grey does look like primer and so the whole thing looks unfinished and that's a shame.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 1.05pm
An interesting point Harry, I remember when the people in charge of the Tower of London thought it might be a good idea to flood the moat, thus restoring it, why not knock everything else down post the Norman period and restore it completely? The evolution of buildings and sites are (in IMHO) a fascinating part of London's history. Good to see Ptolemy and Copernicus getting a name check, can I just give a big SE1 hello to Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Tycho Brahe.....................
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions