London SE1 community website

Floral Hall portico

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Thursday 19 February 2004 10.03am
I understand that the natives of this country used to run around naked and paint themselves bright blue many years ago, perhaps this might be an interesting restoration project.
Friday 20 February 2004 1.52pm
hmmm
now the silver paint goes all the way down it looks a bit
brighter in a starlight express sort of way of is Jesus
Christ super star
Friday 20 February 2004 2.10pm
I think its growing on him...
Have any of the stall holders/shops moved in to the new bit yet?
And is there any news on the tenant for the upper floor? The Market website claims it "will contain a high-class restaurant offering some of the most interesting views in London!"

Post edited (20 Feb 04 14:14)
Friday 20 February 2004 2.46pm
Thermales Caninus wrote:
>"The railings of London (think Islington/Upper St area) used
>to be red white and blue but were painted black as an act
>of mourning for Prince Albert. "

I think this is another element of the Prince Albert myth industry.
I'm fairly sure that Victorian paint technology did not allow white as a colour for metalwork. From the Victorian Society website:

"Various colours have been found on historic ironwork. In the first half of the nineteenth century 'invisible' greens (so called because they would blend into a background of foliage) were used for fences, gates, railings and garden furniture. In 1840 Humphrey Repton recommended a 'bronze' finish, made by powdering copper or gold dust on a green ground. Green was used throughout the mid Victorian period but dark blue, red and chocolate brown were also popular."

I suspect that black actually came into fashion in the early twentieth century as part of the neo-Georgian reaction against Victorian colour.

>"I've always wondered what it would look like if they were >restored to the more colourful option?"

Take the train from London Bridge to West Norwood and have a look at the restored colour of the cemetery railings - they have certainly divided opinion.

Post edited (20 Feb 04 15:19)
Friday 20 February 2004 2.47pm
No one has moved in yet but Turnips palatial office / shop site is growing by the day. We already need to take out a mortgage to shop there, so gawd knows how much more they'll hike the prices to pay for it. Rumour has it that some potential takers for the restaurant area have turned it down because it's too small......
Sunday 22 February 2004 12.34pm
Its looking a bit brighter at ground level ,but the overall grayness and lack of contrast smacks of hue phobia

Hue phobia has nothing to do with style or taste ,its the idea that the application of colour to an object is an insult to the integrity of the 3d form its self ,regardless of personal taste,and even at the expense of it.
Sunday 22 February 2004 2.41pm
It IS definitely growing on him.

Micheal must be a hueophile. Or is he a grayophobic?
Monday 23 February 2004 11.12pm
The idea of the whole thing being grey isn't growing on me but parts of it look good in close-up especially the back of the ground floor where the circles have holes in them,the fromt of the building looks bright but when viewed from the side it still just looks like an austere lump of grey,

The problem I have with the idea that colour would interfere with the architecture is that ,to me it looks like a building that was designed for colour with the circles and squares ,

The problem I have with gray generally is that it reminds me of TV sets and word processors and fan heaters 1980s coffee tables ect
I also think Im being to melodramatic about it.

Tuesday 24 February 2004 8.59am
yes you are - a bit, but at least you've leaned how to spell grey...
Tuesday 24 February 2004 11.05am
When I went past on Saturday morning, it looked as though there was still another coat to go on the lower floor - i.e. the decorative panels still needed to be picked out in the contrasting brighter shade of silver???
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions