London SE1 community website

Floral Hall portico

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Tuesday 24 February 2004 2.25pm
I can't see any contrast at all on it the brighter
silver/gray stands out a bit but not much.

silver paint always reminds me of painting Christmas cards at
primary school ,and it's a very UN photogenic substance if it
is indeed silver paint.its hard to tell.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 2.48pm
I was there Monday 23rd and paid particular attention to the greyness.

Seems like there are 2 versions...and I quite like the lighter, more silvery version.

But I would love to see dark green and yellow highlights as in the rest of the restored area.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 3.07pm
I agree

coloured highlights would set the light gray off

and make it look less like a tax office
Tuesday 24 February 2004 10.00pm
I forgot to add, following my stoll past on Saturday, that it looks as though the silver may have been chosen to tone with the currently incomplete cladding on the new two storey building behind the Floral Hall. I'm not sure whether this was chosen to cope with the likely effects of grime from the railway viaduct (do the new trains generate as much brake dust etc as the old Mk1 slam-door stock?).

I'm more concerned about the quality of the detailing of this new building. I can't find any decent images - the architect's own site doesn't inspire confidence - I do hope that the signage in Middle Road won't look as bland as the artist's impression.

And finally ... I noted this afternoon, coming through on a train on the viaduct that some little sods have managed to climb up and "tag" the back of the new roof covering already.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 11.46pm
The stark lack of any decent visualizations of what they're actually doing seems to be one of the hall marks of this project.

one of my concerns is that the colouration of the portico has been chosen to mach the architects own bland style giving it a kind of grey off icy feel when it should have been done the other way round .

Post edited (26 Feb 04 01:31)
Thursday 26 February 2004 1.42am
Here are some side view extension pictures

http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page5.html

how do you make a link work

Post edited (26 Feb 04 01:43)
Thursday 26 February 2004 10.22am
how do you make a link work? - put it in < > brackets

http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page5.html
Sunday 29 February 2004 8.39pm
Without actually breaching the Berlin wall around the Floral Hall portico I managed to get some good closups of the detailing on the extension,the holes in the metal work at the back of the ground floor, and some shots inside looking out towards Stony Street.

I don't actually mind the architectural look of the extension , but to have a grey portico and a grey extension
Doesn't do anything for me

The side facing towards Borough High street is looking finished ,but again ,gray on gray

detailing on the extension
Http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page5.html

holes in the metal work
Http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page6.html

inside looking out towards Stony Street
http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page7.html

Monday 1 March 2004 11.51am

looks quite nice.
Tuesday 2 March 2004 12.30am
Quite nice are the right words ,it should be stunning,it may well be when its finished ,but I can't see something completely gray apart from the base of the pillars, and without any real contrast having the impact a coloured building would have had.

The inside space looks great.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions