London SE1 community website

Floral Hall portico

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Tuesday 2 March 2004 7.54am
It looks really nice.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Tuesday 2 March 2004 11.38am
ouch get off my leg

It will only ever look as good as something conceived out of
fear

the fear of colour
Tuesday 2 March 2004 12.49pm
Blimey, that sounds awfully portentous - 'the fear of colour' - chromaphobia???? Good title for a movie - in black and white [and grey], of course.
Thursday 4 March 2004 11.37pm
When I first heard they were reconstructing it I imagined the worst thing that could happen to it would be that it would be painted completely white.

As it is the fact that parts of the metal work have been highlighted ,should be better than that.

The problem is .(setting the colour issue aside for a moment)
in order to make the pictures taken of the front of the building after it was painted gray
Look(in my opinion ) as good as possible, I had to increase the brightens even though they were taken on a sunny day.

I think this level of brightness looks good (page 4),for a colourless building the problem is that in reality it doesn't actually look like that.

I sort of feel if you have to increase the brightens on a sunny day to make it look as good as it can look its been painted to dark.(in my opinion),and Im not talking about the interior shots.

Http://floralhallportico.members.beeb.net/page4.html

(and then there's the colour issue)

Post edited (05 Mar 04 22:15)
Friday 5 March 2004 10.24pm
The market colours emanate a sense of physical and spiritual well being inner harmony and closeness to nature ,they're appetizing and fresh ,and conducive to the perches of food.

Grey is the opposite.

Saturday 6 March 2004 9.49am
Can we agree to differ, Michael

see here for reason why

Post edited (06 Mar 04 09:56)
Saturday 6 March 2004 11.58am
Thank you for those pictures

Turner is my favorite artist ,

And they prove the point that Im trying to make .

All those cloud and storm scenes are far more colourful than the dead pane grey used on the floral hall

I was always taught in art lessons to use a colour instead of black or gray

And that's what all the great artists do

Post edited (06 Mar 04 12:29)
Saturday 6 March 2004 8.33pm
Golden Pineapples

I love the Golden Pineapples it reminds me of the top of the monument

I hope they add more gold to it ,it looks great with the silvery grey

Post edited (06 Mar 04 22:52)
Sue
Friday 12 March 2004 9.54am
Oh dear. It all takes me back to Valmouth and Sir Victor Vatt somehow..........
Friday 12 March 2004 10.26am
Sue, I think that Firbankian high camp has its place in the SE1 mix.

Perhaps the Pool of London Partnership should employ Michael as a resident aesthete/"greenery-yallery-Grosvenor-Gallery-foot-in-the- grave young man" to stoll through the crowds on Market days drawing their attention to these abominations against taste?

Edited to add - I mentioned the Firbank reference to a more literary friend, who advised me that Valmouth contains caught snatches of conversation from a confused and disconnected crowd - uncannily similar to the Chatter forum ???.

Post edited (21 Mar 04 20:58)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions