London SE1 community website

Floral Hall portico

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Friday 12 March 2004 11.30am
on the subject of taste at home I like white walls and akea
furniture.

I wouldn't paint my bedroom like the Albert memorial ,but
when I pass the Albert memorial Im glad it's allot more interesting than my bed room.

Im criticiseing the floral hall because I think what they've done is
disepionting.

Post edited (12 Mar 04 12:14)
Sue
Friday 12 March 2004 1.17pm
I suppose you don't fancy a solemn daily stroll through the floral hall wearing a green baize apron and carrying a little green watering can? I'd like to see that. It would add a bit of colour.
Sue
Monday 15 March 2004 6.31pm
But I suppose it's been done. Examined the floral thingy recently. I would describe it as two shades of silver rather than grey, though it will no doubt fade to grey. Did rather like the gold kitschy pineapples, but they looked like a nervous touch, typical of architects thinking gold is a bit daring, why not go a bit further and add a bit more gold emphasising the circles on the facade or the bit across the middle.
Tuesday 16 March 2004 10.36am
We architects rely on the constant parade of bright and fashionably dressed people, the florescent glow of shop signage and lifestyle advertising, and the uncontrolled clutter of corporation street signage to enliven our discreet, carefully proportioned and subtly coloured buildings.

The portico does not need to compete or shout out. It is a backdrop to the colourfull life of the market.
Tuesday 16 March 2004 11.33am
thank you sue

It would look stunning if the circles were hilighted in gold.

Im sorry R. Shaw ,but saying that people are colourfull enough is
is ridiculous.

architects are insulted by the idea that the application of
colour to the surface of a building can actually improve it.

Post edited (16 Mar 04 11:45)
Sue
Tuesday 16 March 2004 11.50am
We artists tend to be quite fond of colour. The drab crowds of tourists fighting their way through Borough Market make it rather hard to see the colourful provender, looking up at the buildings can often be the only way to see anything at all. I am glad you agree about the circles, Michael.
Sunday 21 March 2004 8.13pm
Having not looked at the floral hall for some time when I passed it the other day there is no doubt that the gold on the pineapples just highlights the visual anorexia of the rest of the paint work,

At some point in the future they will have to add gold to the circles because its screaming out for it.

Sue
Sunday 21 March 2004 11.56pm
quite.
Saturday 27 March 2004 11.17am
Does any one know if Ptolemy Dean and the architect ever gave an explanation of the way it has been painted in the Borough Market news letter.

Post edited (27 Mar 04 19:23)
Wednesday 28 April 2004 7.53pm
This thread gets a mention on the front page of the new issue of the Borough Market News.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions